sony vaio linux notebook -- anybody tried this?

sony vaio linux notebook -- anybody tried this?

Post by Predato » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 03:43:14

greetings,

i have a chance of getting a very cheap sony vaio *ultra thin* notebook.
has anyone here tried this hardware with linux before?  i am particularly
concerned about starting the system off in the first place, since the
vaio has an external floppy disk and cd-rom.  i am not sure if i can boot
my os iso image from the cd-rom or not to start the install.  i'm also
weary of potential hardware/device drivers incompatibilities.  this will
be a linux-only system; no partitions to windoze or other os's.

i'm not new to linux, just new to vaios.  i've been using compaq
notebooks + linux for a couple of years with success.

thx in advnc,

pr3d4t0r
"Use simple tools and superior grey matter to
figure out what's wrong." -- Mattew Strebe

Post by Ujwal S. Sathya » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:59:31

> greetings,

> i have a chance of getting a very cheap sony vaio *ultra thin* notebook.
> has anyone here tried this hardware with linux before?  i am
> particularly concerned about starting the system off in the first place,
> since the vaio has an external floppy disk and cd-rom.  i am not sure if
> i can boot my os iso image from the cd-rom or not to start the install.
> i'm also weary of potential hardware/device drivers incompatibilities.
> this will be a linux-only system; no partitions to windoze or other
> os's.

> i'm not new to linux, just new to vaios.  i've been using compaq
> notebooks + linux for a couple of years with success.

> thx in advnc,

> pr3d4t0r
> "Use simple tools and superior grey matter to figure out what's wrong."
> -- Mattew Strebe

Have you looked at:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

Ujwal

sony vaio linux notebook -- anybody tried this?

Post by HT » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:00:40

Look at this site which has info about linux on sony vaios as well.
http://www.linux-laptop.net/

All the best
Sam

Quote:> greetings,

> i have a chance of getting a very cheap sony vaio *ultra thin* notebook.
> has anyone here tried this hardware with linux before?  i am particularly
> concerned about starting the system off in the first place, since the
> vaio has an external floppy disk and cd-rom.  i am not sure if i can boot
> my os iso image from the cd-rom or not to start the install.  i'm also
> weary of potential hardware/device drivers incompatibilities.  this will
> be a linux-only system; no partitions to windoze or other os's.

> i'm not new to linux, just new to vaios.  i've been using compaq
> notebooks + linux for a couple of years with success.

> thx in advnc,

> pr3d4t0r
> "Use simple tools and superior grey matter to
> figure out what's wrong." -- Mattew Strebe

sony vaio linux notebook -- anybody tried this?

Post by TheMartia » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:56:51

Quote:> greetings,

> i have a chance of getting a very cheap sony vaio *ultra thin* notebook.
> has anyone here tried this hardware with linux before?  i am
> particularly concerned about starting the system off in the first place,
> since the vaio has an external floppy disk and cd-rom.  i am not sure if
> i can boot my os iso image from the cd-rom or not to start the install.
> i'm also weary of potential hardware/device drivers incompatibilities.
> this will be a linux-only system; no partitions to windoze or other
> os's.

> i'm not new to linux, just new to vaios.  i've been using compaq
> notebooks + linux for a couple of years with success.

> thx in advnc,

> pr3d4t0r
> "Use simple tools and superior grey matter to figure out what's wrong."
> -- Mattew Strebe

I use several of the C1VM (australian for C1VN) under linux, apart from
the apm which is broken, these things run linux very well.

www.linux-laptop.net

or my C1VM howto

www.ozetechnology.com

--
TheMartian
AIM: OrigMartian

Post by stefan isaa » Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:30:34

> > greetings,

> > i have a chance of getting a very cheap sony vaio *ultra thin* notebook.
> > has anyone here tried this hardware with linux before?  i am
> > particularly concerned about starting the system off in the first place,
> > since the vaio has an external floppy disk and cd-rom.  i am not sure if
> > i can boot my os iso image from the cd-rom or not to start the install.
> > i'm also weary of potential hardware/device drivers incompatibilities.
> > this will be a linux-only system; no partitions to windoze or other
> > os's.

Actually, I just did this last week. Tried a couple of distributions and
settled on installing Mandrake 8.1 (downloaded the ISOs from one of their
mirror sites). Works like a charm.

I have a 505F with 96Mb. It recognizes my external USB hub (with built-in
Ethernet) and external USB mouse as well as the trackpad. Floppy and CD
also.

I booted from the floppy using the pcmcia boot image. It booted off the
CD no problem after I reconfgired the BIOS to use the CD first (<F2> at
boot). Just make sure that you turn the power off and on before booting -
a reboot won't do it. And you must use one of the Sony external CDROM
drives (CD5 or CD51).

You can write to me if you have any more questions. Seems like a great
alternative to Windows. Its slower but I imagine I can improve the
speed by kernel tuning or working on the services started.

cheers,
Stefan
www.stefanisaacs.com

sony vaio linux notebook -- anybody tried this?

Post by Predato » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:25:35

thanks to all who responded to this post.  i believe it's vaio linux for
me :)

cheers,

pr3d4t0r
"Use simple tools and superior grey matter to
figure out what's wrong." -- Mattew Strebe

1. I am trying to install gentoo 1.4r1 2004.3 on sony vaio C1VN notebook.

I am trying to install gentoo 1.4r1 2004.3 on sony vaio C1VN notebook.
I've entered "gentoo-nofb ide2=0x180,0x386" to recognize atapi pcmcia
cdrom for vaio sub-notebook.

however, running fdisk won't work. It seems like that fdisk cannot find
/dev/hda on the notebook.

I was told by guru on gentoo irc channel to use "ide2=0x180,0x386" to
get atapi pcmcia cdrom to get recognized by gentoo live-cd upon booting.
I am stuck, so help is appreciated.

Thanks

Oktokie

2. dosemu video problem

3. Linux on a Sony VAIO PCG-XG9 notebook

4. Jet Direct

5. Linux/X on a Sony Vaio 748 notebook?

6. Rebooting remotely?

7. LINUX and Sony Superslim Notebook Vaio PCG - 505 series .

8. "Cannot allocate colormap..."

9. Linux on Sony Notebook Vaio R600HEK

10. Help - Installing SuSE Linux 8.0 on Sony Vaio PCG-R505 DL notebook w/ PCGA-DSM5 dock

11. Installing RH 5.1 on Sony VAIO 505GX Notebook

12. HEEELP! - Mouse not working on Sony Vaio notebook

13. sony vaio F580 Notebook unable to install