Lilo: booting 2 Linux partitions - Help

Post by Dave » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have been running Win95 and Linux side by side for a couple of years
now.  I have used LILO as my Boot Loader without problem.  I now have
installed Slackware 4.0 onto another hard disk in my system and I want
to be able to add that to Lilo.

When I added it it seems that I either boot my Linux 2.0 kernel for both
choices or my Linux 2.2 kernel for both, although it does mount the 2.0
root and I choose 2.0 and the 2.2 root when I choose 2.2.  How do I set
up Lilo to boot the /vmlinuz on /dev/hda3 when I choose 2.0 and the
/vmlinuz on /dev/hdc3 when I choose 2.2?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Post by Coope » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I have been running Win95 and Linux side by side for a couple of years
> now.  I have used LILO as my Boot Loader without problem.  I now have
> installed Slackware 4.0 onto another hard disk in my system and I want
> to be able to add that to Lilo.

> When I added it it seems that I either boot my Linux 2.0 kernel for both
> choices or my Linux 2.2 kernel for both, although it does mount the 2.0
> root and I choose 2.0 and the 2.2 root when I choose 2.2.  How do I set
> up Lilo to boot the /vmlinuz on /dev/hda3 when I choose 2.0 and the
> /vmlinuz on /dev/hdc3 when I choose 2.2?

> Any advice will be appreciated.

This lies in the way lilo works.
What you need to do is this:
The main Linux you intend to run (i.e. the one you intend to keep in the
long run) you set up with lilo and set this up in such a way that it
only boots the partition the other Linux is on. Use something like this
in your lilo.conf:
other=/dev/hdc3
   label=SecondLinux

Next you go to that second Linux partition (either perform this step
first, or run the original Linux from LILO with the added statements
like so: <assumed is that it's named linux>
LILO: linux root=/dev/hdc3 ro
and you boot the other Linux but with your old kernel)

On this second Linux partition you set lilo up to place itself on the
partition with 0 second delay. What you're doing is from the main lilo
from the other Linux you get the prompt. You've chosen the other linux
which should by now just get along with it. The lilo for that other one,
using /dev/hdc3 again as the root partition, should look like this:
boot=/dev/hdc3  # put it on the partition, not the MBR
image=/vmlinuz
   root=/dev/hdc3
   label=OtherLinux
   read-only

If you need to use an APPEND line in the main lilo.conf you need to
include it here too.
Now if you run lilo from the second lilo partition you add lilo to the
partition, making the partition itself bootable. The main lilo only has
to kick in the partition.
Added advantage is that you can update each Linux's lilo without the
other one knowing about it.

Cooper
--
Linux: Proof of intelligent life on earth

1. booting linux from extended partition without Lilo : Boot Manager

I m planning to install linux on an Extended partition, though the
lilo be installed on the Logical drive (linux partition) and not the
MBR.
Can anybdy suggest a Boot Manager (best if fits within 512 Bytes)
which allows the system to boot from extended linux partition? ||
Freeware ||
Unable to install XOSL or Osloader2000.

2. Linux support for HomePNA

3. Booting LILO with multi-drive, multi partition, Please help!

4. S3 Virge DX & RH5.0

5. Help: DOS Partition Won't Boot from LILO

6. Notification about thread termination!

7. HELP!!: using LILO to boot from 8Gb+ partition

8. Linux Info, Please: HW & SW

9. LILO - main boot or first partition of boot sector?

10. lilo problem, dos partition won't boot, HELP!

11. LILO problem when booting to linux partition?

12. -=Boot Separate Linux Partitions Using Lilo=-

13. OS2 BM, lilo, linux boot on logical partition