Hard disk problem in dual boot install

Post by Rahe » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 01:37:49

Hi,
 I have a 30 gb hard disk and I wanted to install dual boot linux with
windows98 on it. First of all I made 3 partitions of fat32 leaving 6
gbs for linux. but an error comes up when i reach disk druid in red
hat 7.1 install and try to create linux partitions.  it says that my
boot partition should be in the first 1023 cylinders.
how exactly should i do that? and what is the safest way to dual boot
my 30 gb hard disk with windows now or from scratch.
Thanks..
Raheel

Hard disk problem in dual boot install

Post by Stephan Reihl » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 05:58:56

Raheel schrieb:

Quote:> Hi,
>  I have a 30 gb hard disk and I wanted to install dual boot linux with
> windows98 on it. First of all I made 3 partitions of fat32 leaving 6
> gbs for linux. but an error comes up when i reach disk druid in red
> hat 7.1 install and try to create linux partitions.  it says that my
> boot partition should be in the first 1023 cylinders.
> how exactly should i do that? and what is the safest way to dual boot
> my 30 gb hard disk with windows now or from scratch.
> Thanks..
> Raheel

Hi Raheel,

one solution could be to let Linux do the job of partitioning, because
Windoze has no feature for creating FAT-partitions behind a non-dos
partition. This would end up in creating the first partition during the
installation of Windoze an partitions two to four by Linux.

The -maybe- more conveniant way would be using GRUB instead of LILO as
bootmanager.

yours

Stephan Reihle

1. Hard disk problem in dual boot install

Hi,
 I have a 30 gb hard disk and I wanted to install dual boot linux with
windows98 on it. First of all I made 3 partitions of fat32 leaving 6
gbs for linux. but an error comes up when i reach disk druid in red
hat 7.1 install and try to create linux partitions.  it says that my
boot partition should be in the first 1023 cylinders.
how exactly should i do that? and what is the safest way to dual boot
my 30 gb hard disk with windows now or from scratch.
Thanks..
Raheel

2. Linux? what a joke

3. Dual Boot with Scovery Flash Disk and Hard Disk

4. Plotters

5. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

6. siocsifflags error

7. Hrad disk problem in dual boot install

8. Driver for ATI XPERT 98 AGP card?

9. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

10. How to Set up Dual Boot w/ 2 Hard Disks

11. Linux dual boot, IBM Thinkpad A30 2nd hard disk

12. Dual boot with two hard disks???

13. very basic question on setting up my hard disk for a dual boot Linux installation