Internet Server and Mail Server

Post by chandu » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I have installed Redhat linux 5.0 on a machine and want to use it as an
internet server for my company and would like to use it as Internet and
Mail server using a leased line.

I am testing out whether I can have the other people send and recieve email
and from thier own PC's, through the linux box

sendmail and a pop3 servers are installed and up and running. When I
configure to email client to send and recieve it from the linux machine they
time out.

Anyone knowing why and the solution to it, please mail a reply to me as soon
as possible.

thanks in advance.

Chandu

Post by John Winte » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Hi

>I have installed Redhat linux 5.0 on a machine and want to use it as an
>internet server for my company and would like to use it as Internet and
>Mail server using a leased line.

>I am testing out whether I can have the other people send and recieve email
>and from thier own PC's, through the linux box

>sendmail and a pop3 servers are installed and up and running. When I
>configure to email client to send and recieve it from the linux machine they
>time out.

Sending or receiving?

Quote:>Anyone knowing why and the solution to it, please mail a reply to me as soon
>as possible.

Give us some more information.  Do you have basic networking working between
the boxes?  Any error messages in the logs?  Can you telnet to the smtp
port on the Linux box?  What exact error message does your client give
you?  What client is it?

John

(Cc:ed to poster)
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

1. Mail Servers/Internet Gateways/Proxy Servers?

In a few months I will be in the business of setting up Internet systems
for small to medium businesses to give them dial-up Internet access and
e-mail on a LAN.  I was going to use Mdaemon (great e-mail software) &
either Sygate or Wingate (which I am familiar with) on Win95
workstations.  I recently discovered Linux and I was wondering if Linux
would provide a more stable solution.  I have heard that some free
utilities may already be built in to Linux that could do what I need.
Is this correct?

The mail server would have to dial the ISP at regular intervals and need
the ability to receive e-mail via SMTP or possibly POP3.  It would need
to be able to store the incoming e-mail in separate mailboxes which will
be POPed from mail clients running on the network.
The Internet Gateway would have to be secure, (ie) firewall abilities,
dial on demand and disconnect after a period of time since the last
traffic.

Can someone please tell me what is available for Linux?

Cheers,
Ross Levis
New Zealand.

2. Can't locate module char-major-10-32

3. PROXY SERVER for Mail Accounts--Internet Server

4. File transfers grind to a halt.

5. FS: Internet Gateway Server (Departmnetal or Internet Server)

6. Call for Papers: USENIX Annual Conference--Submissions due: Dec 2, 1998

7. Mail server can't accept mail in boardband internet

8. 2.4.21-pre7 broken for non-pci

9. "mail" program - necessary to run mail server myself to e-mail to Internet?

10. How to receive Internet mail from Win95 client via mail server on Redhat 4.2

11. Comparison propietary mail / internet mail servers

12. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

13. Sendmail & Internet mail thru POP3 server - How ?