Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

Post by Tom Cipollon » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

I have two linux machines: one is an IDE system and the other is SCSI.

On the IDE machine, I have just upgraded from Kernel 1.2.11 to 1.2.13.
I got a new kernel source and renamed the old kernel directory tree to
something like linux.old. then I went through the entire proceedure:

make config
make dep
make clean
make zImage

after the compile I did :

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
rdev -R zImage 1
rdev -v zImage -1
rdev zImage /dev/hda2
fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
cat zImage > /dev/fd0H1440

Everything *seemed* to work fine. BUT when I tried to boot off of the
hard disk and not the floppy, it clearly came up with Kernel 1.2.11,
which was the old one. When I booted from the floppy, it came up with
kernel 1.2.13, which was the new one .

There must be an additional step to set LILO to boot from the new
kernel, but I can find nothing about it in the documentation.

Also, with my SCSI machine, I have loaded linux for the first time. I
went through the whole proceedure and recompiled the kernel just as
above, with my other machine.

The problem is that when I boot up the system goes into AUTOPROBE. It
taked about 7 minutes for this to complete before the system fully
boots. I went through the recompile process again and was very careful
to NOT include the following step which looked suspicious to me:
"Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device".

I can boot from the hard disk without this happening. I am now
suspicious that I am not really booting from the recompiled kernel.

Please help

thank you

Tom

Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel

Post by Randy You » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
>rdev -R zImage 1
>rdev -v zImage -1
>rdev zImage /dev/hda2
>fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
>cat zImage > /dev/fd0H1440

>There must be an additional step to set LILO to boot from the new
>kernel, but I can find nothing about it in the documentation.

From what I read above you did not cp the new zImage to the root of your
boot drive, or the /etc or wherever your present zImage of vmlinux is at
this time.  Once you do that then you have to run lilo again to reset that
as well.  Make sure that you save the old zImage as something like
zImage.old.  That way you have it if you need.  You did everything correctly
for using a floppy boot.  As for your other system problem, it may
well be the same thing, you haven't cp'd the new zImage to the boot
area yet and are still using the old kernel.

--
Randy Young

Speaking strictly for myself!

1. recompiled kernel, the new kernel does not boot

Hello,

I needed my linux box to act as a Novell client so, after a lot of
reading (IPX-HOWTO, etc.), I figured out that I had to recompile my
kernel with IPX and NCPFS built into it. I read the KERNEL-HOWTO and
the "customizing kernel" (in the RedHat docs.) and followed all the
instructions that was written in RedHat one. There was no error. The
grub had the entry of the new kernel. But when I restarted my machine
and chose to load the new kerenel, it stopped just before where the
usual message "Welcome to Red Hat linux..." would have been. Can
anyone point me where I could have been wrong? Thank you.

2. Experiences with Xfree ver . 1.2

3. Kernel recompile - won't boot - howto fix?

4. Configuring SuSE to use uhci (not usb-uhci)

5. SLS 1.05 - recompiled kernel won't boot

6. Dual PPro

7. HELP: New kernel won't boot

8. Unix C Problem!

9. SLS: Recompiled Kernel Won't Boot! :-(

10. Won't boot after kernel recompile

11. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel