Anonymous FTP account problem...

Post by The Rang » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Ok, here's the deal...

I accidentaly killed /home/ftp.  I tried to recreate it by using another
linux box as an example.  Now when I ftp in under the ftp account and do an
ls, I get:
Opeining ASCII mode date connection for /bin/ls (as normal)
Transfer complete (no directory comes up!)

HEEEEELP.  What am I missing?  Everything in that directory is owned by
ftp.wheel and the directory structure is setup exactly like a WORKING linux
box.  What am I missing?

---
[-----------------------------------------------------------------------]
  Home Page-http://www.csi.nwpros.com/~ranger/index.html
  CSI URL-http://csi.nwpros.com

[-----------------------------------------------------------------------]

Anonymous FTP account problem...

Post by The Rang » Sat, 09 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:ndeputte) writes:

:>
:>
:>: I accidentaly killed /home/ftp.  I tried to recreate it by using another
:>: linux box as an example.  Now when I ftp in under the ftp account and do an
:>: ls, I get:
:>: Opeining ASCII mode date connection for /bin/ls (as normal)
:>: Transfer complete (no directory comes up!)
:>
:>/home/ftp/bin/ls is missing.
:>mine still has an a.out version in it, although I converted the rest to elf.
:>Hmm:-) now I notice...
:>

Actually I do have a /home/ftp/bin/ls set to 755 and owned by root.bin.
Still no luck...

:>
:>
:>: HEEEEELP.  What am I missing?  Everything in that directory is owned by
:>: ftp.wheel and the directory structure is setup exactly like a WORKING linux
:>: box.  What am I missing?
:>
:>
:>ftp.wheel ? arg!
:>
:>everything should be owned by root.bin!!!

Ok thanks.  That's just the default linux puts on a new system., but I did go
back and change it.

Still it isn't working... Grrr...

---
[-----------------------------------------------------------------------]
  Home Page-http://www.csi.nwpros.com/~ranger/index.html
  CSI URL-http://www.csi.nwpros.com

[-----------------------------------------------------------------------]

1. Anonymous FTP access from non-anonymous account

Does anybody know of a way to limit the access for a non-anonymous ftp
user similar to that of an anonymous ftp user?  For example, they can log
in, but we don't want them to go outside of a certain directory - like
how anonymous ftp works, just without using the account "anonymous".

If this is in the FAQ - forgive the waste of bandwidth.  Thanks in
advance!

                "Yes, you are correct.  I am bored"

Network/Unix/PC Admin                                (319) 395-4542
Rockwell International Corp.

2. Telnet

3. FTP account without passwd (not an anonymous account)

4. Prevent from killing X session during Screensaver

5. FTP Anonymous account and ~ftp/etc

6. Need password in my SCO system

7. problems setting up anonymous ftp account

8. lynx on linux 1.2.1

9. Problem writing file to an anonymous ftp account

10. anonymous ftp account on SGI

11. FTP - I don't want an anonymous account

12. anonymous FTP only, not to my own account!

13. anonymous ftp server with admi account over ldap