Network card/insmod problems

Post by TIM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I cannot get linux to recognize my network card:
    smc 1211TX
I have tried epic100, tulip and smc9194.  All give the same error:
    insmod failed: device or resource busy
One variation clued me into the fact that there may be an irq conflict,
so I tried adding options to insmod:
    insmod epic100 irq=11
but I only get an error, saying param_irq unrecognized

Any ideas????

Network card/insmod problems

Post by Linux Use » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

The correct module for your card should be rtl8139.o. Try this command:

modprobe rtl8139

If you want the driver loaded at boot add this line to /etc/modules.conf

alias eth0 rtl8139

Regards,
        Jim H

> I cannot get linux to recognize my network card:
>     smc 1211TX
> I have tried epic100, tulip and smc9194.  All give the same error:
>     insmod failed: device or resource busy
> One variation clued me into the fact that there may be an irq conflict,
> so I tried adding options to insmod:
>     insmod epic100 irq=11
> but I only get an error, saying param_irq unrecognized

> Any ideas????

Network card/insmod problems

Post by G*rd » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I was given an IBM PC 750 (not the laptop, a desktop) by a
former client and have loaded Debian Linux updated to 2.2 on
it.  It had some kind of LAN connection in its former home,
and I would like to establish one now between it and a Windows
98 machine.  Obviously it would be good to know what the LAN
board in the Linux machine is, but it would be inadvisable to
call the former client, as the machine was "forgotten" by an
underling, rather than overtly donated through official
channels.  Are there any utilities which could tell me what
I've got?  Alternatively, if I take the machine apart and
examine the board physically, what should I look for?

Network card/insmod problems

Post by Bobo Jon » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:12:39

Quote:>I cannot get linux to recognize my network card:
>    smc 1211TX
>I have tried epic100, tulip and smc9194.  All give the same error:
>    insmod failed: device or resource busy
>One variation clued me into the fact that there may be an irq conflict,
>so I tried adding options to insmod:
>    insmod epic100 irq=11
>but I only get an error, saying param_irq unrecognized

>Any ideas????

insmod doesn't accept any such parameter. Try modifying adding the
following lines to your /etc/modules.conf file:

alias eth0 epic100
options eth0 irq=11

(I'm not exactly sure what the syntax is, but I think that's right. To
confirm, try reading the ethernet HOWTO or visit
http://www.scyld.com/network/ for more information about your network card,
suitable drivers, how to configure and how to diagnose problems.

good luck.

Post by Victor S. Mill » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 00:42:14

Tim> I cannot get linux to recognize my network card: smc 1211TX I
Tim> have tried epic100, tulip and smc9194.  All give the same error:
Tim> insmod failed: device or resource busy One variation clued me
Tim> into the fact that there may be an irq conflict, so I tried
Tim> adding options to insmod: insmod epic100 irq=11 but I only get an
Tim> error, saying param_irq unrecognized

Tim> Any ideas????

Tim, is your network card plug 'n play?  I had a similar problem with
my network card.  I finally had to go into /etc/isapnp.conf and
comment out the sections having to do with the card.  When I rebooted,
everything came up fine.

Good luck!
--
Victor S. Miller     | " ... Meanwhile, those of us who can compute can hardly

CCR, Princeton, NJ   | following useless calculation in 2 seconds', and indeed
    08540 USA        | what editor would publish them?"  -- Oliver Atkin

Post by Donald Beck » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 02:54:06

>>I cannot get linux to recognize my network card:
>>    smc 1211TX
>>I have tried epic100, tulip and smc9194.  All give the same error:
>>    insmod failed: device or resource busy

The rtl8139 driver is the correct one for this card.

Quote:>insmod doesn't accept any such parameter. Try modifying adding the
>following lines to your /etc/modules.conf file:

>alias eth0 epic100
>options eth0 irq=11

Only ISA drivers accept the io=0x... and irq=... parameters.
PCI drivers can always reliably detect cards, find the I/O address and IRQ
from the PCI configuration.

Quote:>(I'm not exactly sure what the syntax is, but I think that's right. To
>confirm, try reading the ethernet HOWTO or visit
>http://www.scyld.com/network/ for more information about your network card,
>suitable drivers, how to configure and how to diagnose problems.

Always good advice ;->
--

Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations

1. Can't insmod Intel eepro ISA network card

Hello all,
I did many Linux installations - never had probs with PCI network cards.

Currently I'm working on a Debian installation 2.2.19 #1 ...i586 ... with
an additional ISA network card (eth1) which I can not insmod.
(eth0 is a PCI 3c509 and it works fine)

modconf didn't work
autodetect=1 didn't work
alias in /etc/modules.conf didn't work
lilo append didn't work

I did pnpdump > isa.cnf (see attachment), activated the changes and did a
isapnp isa.cnf but couldn't install the module.

The error has been (more or less) always the same:
Board 1 has Identity b9 00 c9 4e c7 30 10 d4 25:  INT1030 Serial No
13192903 [checksum b9

isa.cnf:49 -- Fatal - IO range check attempted while device activated
isa.cnf:49 -- Fatal - Error occured executing request <IORESCHECK> ---
further action aborted

Using the "eexpress" module didn't work. nor did "eepro" - always the same.

Seems like my config on the io addresses might be wrong.

Best regards and many thanks in advance!
Werner.

  isa.cnf
2K Download

2. echo strings with more than two lines?

3. insmod problems with Trendware TEW-221PC wireless card

4. lilo with big hard drives..

5. insmod: ipv6.o: insmod net-pf-10 failed

6. Why use ./xecuteable ?

7. 3C905 Network Card detected as a Vortex Network Card (3c59X series)

8. help!! Linux router / dhcp / switch question?!

9. cardmgr can't execute insmod or network start

10. Hauppage TV Card. Freezes the PC on insmod.

11. insmod failed,net card doesn't work.

12. Ethernet card insmod failure

13. insmod worked? Seeking Emulex card recognition