Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem..

Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem..

Post by Monta Elkin » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I solved the problem (in case anyone is interested
or is having the same one.)

It was a problem with the hard disk drive.

I swapped it for another one and things
worked fine.

-Monta

Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.setup

I'm having a bizzare problem with my Caldera Linux
(RedHat).

I can install it.  Set it up and run it it for days.
I can 'shutdown -r now' and it comes up fine.

---------------------
BUT
_____________________

If I turn the power off after I install it.
It won't boot!!!!!

It freezes at "VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly."

I can boot from floppy and mount /dev/hda2.
I can read files, write them, create them, fschk.ext2
reports no problems ---

BUT some of the programs won't run.
The shell say file not found.
(I tried ./init and ./bash in the appropriate directories)

I can see the files with ls -l, length and date looks fine.
I can copy and cat them (for all the good it does)
but they won't run.

I'm thinking that maybe init won't run from the Harddrive
(I'm running a PCI Pentium 60 from Acer with 16 MB)

WHY?!?!?!

Thats weird!

I can reboot it all I want  -- IF I DON'T POWER DOWN....

This is driving me nuts.
I NEED this server to work for an important project.

Anyway does anybody have a clue why a HD gets screwed after
a power off.  (Yes I waited 'til shutdown was through.
-fschk finds NO problems)

P.S.

I installed originally from NFS mount across ethernet....

If you can help me figure this out I'll be forever in your debt
(Of course that and $1 will buy you a pop...)

Thanks in advance,
-Monta

The CMOS drive geometry matches the spec's on the drive....

1. Help: needed from 'boot guru' WEIRD problem...

[...]

2. Help with xhtml (ASHE)

3. help needed: AWE32 PNP won't work - kernel won't compile - gurus read this!

4. Netscape won't start

5. Need clarification: what really is 'MBR' and what is 'BOOT SECTOR'?

6. Memory question???

7. weird problem with repaired Acer monitor, need guru/help

8. Shared Mail Spool - Reading mail to root.

9. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'

10. Guru's Help: Newbie's 1st install

11. Need SENDMAIL Guru's help, ASAP!

12. ufsdump dd tape guru's I need your help

13. Need Help Please from Linux Guru's for a dos oldtimer