DHCP not working

Post by XaosSlaa » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I installed RedHat on my PC at work (and had some networking trouble but we
I'm getting there.)  Anyway we have a DHCP Server, but when i choose DHCP it
fails to get an address.  BUT, when I choose to setup the network
information (IP Address, Netmask, Default Gateway, nameservers, etc it all
works great.)  This isn't a HUGE problem since I intend on using it as an
Apache Intranet Server (and as we all know such things work hard and deserve
a static), but I was curious as to why it wasn't working. BTW it works fine
with all the Win95 and WinNT machines we have (DHCP that is.)

Thanks
--XaosSlaad

DHCP not working

Post by Jakob Goldbac » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I installed RedHat on my PC at work (and had some networking trouble but we
> I'm getting there.)  Anyway we have a DHCP Server, but when i choose DHCP it
> fails to get an address.  BUT, when I choose to setup the network
> information (IP Address, Netmask, Default Gateway, nameservers, etc it all
> works great.)  This isn't a HUGE problem since I intend on using it as an
> Apache Intranet Server (and as we all know such things work hard and deserve
> a static), but I was curious as to why it wasn't working. BTW it works fine
> with all the Win95 and WinNT machines we have (DHCP that is.)

I've heard that Linux doesn't get the nameserver part from DHCP
- set them manually.

(Although - When Linux is the DHCP server it will the Win clients the
nameserver part)

Hope this helps

--
Jakob Goldbach

1. DHCP not working when booting, works after login

Hi everybody,

I got a confusing problem. I have about ten almost identically set up X
terminals which use DHCP to set up their networking. Two of them are
causing me headaches. When booting they request an IP address from the DHCP
server, the server makes the correct offer, but they prefer not to
acknowledge and instead time out, leaving their network configuration
undone. If I then login and run "/etc/init.d/networking start" they
suddenly behave correctly and take the offered IP address from the server.

dhcpd.conf looks like this:

----cut----
group {
        use-host-decl-names on;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;

        host hobbes {
                fixed-address hobbes;
                hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:6C;
        }

        host kant {
                fixed-address kant;
                hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:78;
        }

        host [...]

----cut----

All terminals have the same NIC (Realtek 8139) and run the same system and
kernel. Only those two are making trouble.

I'm running Debian unstable with dhcpd and dhcpcd (dhclient didn't work
neither).

I'd very much appreciate any hint on how I can find out what the problem is.

Thanks,

Severin

2. Survey: Operating Systems Decisions

3. Redhat 6.1 with 3C905B adapter & DHCP not working

4. 2.0.x Kernel compilation errors

5. DHCP not working

6. mount point /cdrom does not exist

7. DHCP not working with Linksy LNE100TX v4.1 (AMDtek AL985 Centaur-P)

8. Pattern matching-3

9. pump+dhcp not working

10. DHCP not working....."Network is unreachable"

11. dhcp not working

12. DHCP not working

13. DHCP not working in kernel 2.2.x, was OK in 2.0.36