Downgrading MB?

Post by Byron Mille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've got RH6.0 set up successfully, with SO, Netscape, and pppd, etc,
>on a MB with an AMD K6/2 350 and 64M RAM.  I need the MB to run
>Windoze in another location, and want to use an older 200Mz
>Pentium/MMX with 96 Meg of RAM.  Can I just put the drive into the
>case with the older board and boot it, or do I have reinstall RH with
>the upgrade option?  It doesn't say anything about changin HW in the
>RH manual or on the FAQ on the web site.  And if I can boot it as is,
>are there some config files that I have to modify to get it to run
>properly?.

If you didn't modify/recompile your kernel with any special options or
anything specific, you shouldn't have much problems. Some of your
irq's may change depending on the MB's configuration, so some modules
may complain.

Also if you go from serial to ps2 or vice versa, you will need to
reconfigure your mouse and such.

But you shouldn't have much, if any trouble using the standard kernel
(since its already modularized to find just about any hardware)

-byron

Byron Miller Consulting | http://www.reliabilityfactor.com

Unix, Linux, Network and System Consulting

Downgrading MB?

Post by Rand Simbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've got RH6.0 set up successfully, with SO, Netscape, and pppd, etc,
on a MB with an AMD K6/2 350 and 64M RAM.  I need the MB to run
Windoze in another location, and want to use an older 200Mz
Pentium/MMX with 96 Meg of RAM.  Can I just put the drive into the
case with the older board and boot it, or do I have reinstall RH with
the upgrade option?  It doesn't say anything about changin HW in the
RH manual or on the FAQ on the web site.  And if I can boot it as is,
are there some config files that I have to modify to get it to run
properly?.

simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Downgrading MB?

Post by Rand Simbe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:53:31 -0400, in a place far, far away, Byron

such a way as to indicate that:

>>I've got RH6.0 set up successfully, with SO, Netscape, and pppd, etc,
>>on a MB with an AMD K6/2 350 and 64M RAM.  I need the MB to run
>>Windoze in another location, and want to use an older 200Mz
>>Pentium/MMX with 96 Meg of RAM.  Can I just put the drive into the
>>case with the older board and boot it, or do I have reinstall RH with
>>the upgrade option?  It doesn't say anything about changin HW in the
>>RH manual or on the FAQ on the web site.  And if I can boot it as is,
>>are there some config files that I have to modify to get it to run
>>properly?.

>If you didn't modify/recompile your kernel with any special options or
>anything specific, you shouldn't have much problems. Some of your
>irq's may change depending on the MB's configuration, so some modules
>may complain.

What would be the form of such complaints, and how should I respond to
them?

Quote:>Also if you go from serial to ps2 or vice versa, you will need to
>reconfigure your mouse and such.

Nope--still serial.

Quote:>But you shouldn't have much, if any trouble using the standard kernel
>(since its already modularized to find just about any hardware)

OK.  The only thing I'm worried about is my sound and video, which in
the new system will be on board.  Anybody know about drivers for the
TX Pro II chip set?