IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

Post by Spotillius Maximus aka » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I got IP Masquerading working fairly easy.  The Howto's recommended trying
an IP address to see if it work, and it does.  But, when I try an internet
site with a host name it won't connect.  The other machine connected to my
Linux box is using Win98.  This may be just a simple setting?  I'm not sure
how to correct this problem.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the
firewall setting when you activate IP Masquerading?  Thanks in advance for
all the help.

                                                        Ed

IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

Post by Spotillius Maximus aka » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have my /etc/resolv.conf set that way.  It connects to the internet fine.
What's happening is that when I type in an IP address of a site on the Win98
machine it will go there no problem, but, if I type in
http://www.pricewatch.com  it will not connect to it.  This is using
Internet Explorer on the other box.  The Howto said to try the IP address
first for the test, so there must be a solution to this?  Thanks.

Ed

Quote:>Try putting the IP address of your DNS server(s) into /etc/resolv.conf
>You have to go to a DNS server to resolve a name to a number.

>Your /etc/resolv.conf should look something like this:
>search your_local_network_domain_name_here
>nameserver 297.396.1.2
>nameserver 297.396.1.3
>The addresses supplied here are obvious fakes (>254)
>but you get the idea...

IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

Post by youn.. » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I got IP Masquerading working fairly easy.  The Howto's recommended trying
> an IP address to see if it work, and it does.  But, when I try an internet
> site with a host name it won't connect.  The other machine connected to my
> Linux box is using Win98.  This may be just a simple setting?  I'm not sure
> how to correct this problem.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the
> firewall setting when you activate IP Masquerading?  Thanks in advance for
> all the help.

Try putting the IP address of your DNS server(s) into /etc/resolv.conf
You have to go to a DNS server to resolve a name to a number.

Your /etc/resolv.conf should look something like this:
search your_local_network_domain_name_here
nameserver 297.396.1.2
nameserver 297.396.1.3
The addresses supplied here are obvious fakes (>254)
but you get the idea...

IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

Post by Eugene Li » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have my /etc/resolv.conf set that way.  It connects to the internet fine.
> What's happening is that when I type in an IP address of a site on the Win98
> machine it will go there no problem, but, if I type in
> http://www.pricewatch.com  it will not connect to it.  This is using
> Internet Explorer on the other box.  The Howto said to try the IP address
> first for the test, so there must be a solution to this?  Thanks.

> Ed

> >Try putting the IP address of your DNS server(s) into /etc/resolv.conf
> >You have to go to a DNS server to resolve a name to a number.

> >Your /etc/resolv.conf should look something like this:
> >------------------------------------------
> >search your_local_network_domain_name_here
> >nameserver 297.396.1.2
> >nameserver 297.396.1.3
> >------------------------------------------
> >The addresses supplied here are obvious fakes (>254)
> >but you get the idea...

        Do you enter the DNS in your windoze box under Control
Panel/Network/TCPIP->NIC/DNS Configuration/DNS Server Search Order ?
That may be the reason. Hope it helps.

--
Eugene

IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

Post by youn.. » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

From your description I think the following is true"
  Linux box
    is IPMasq host
    IPaddr name works on local browser
  Win98 box
    depends on Linux box for internet access
    IPaddr number works on local browser
    IPaddr name does not
If this is true then:
  Do you have the DNS setup on the Win98 box?
  It also has to know where to resolve numbers to names.
Or what's more likely:
  I'm completely confused at this point :-)

Quote:

> I have my /etc/resolv.conf set that way.  It connects to the internet fine.
> What's happening is that when I type in an IP address of a site on the Win98
> machine it will go there no problem, but, if I type in
> http://www.pricewatch.com  it will not connect to it.  This is using
> Internet Explorer on the other box.  The Howto said to try the IP address
> first for the test, so there must be a solution to this?  Thanks.

> Ed

> >Try putting the IP address of your DNS server(s) into /etc/resolv.conf
> >You have to go to a DNS server to resolve a name to a number.

> >Your /etc/resolv.conf should look something like this:
> >------------------------------------------
> >search your_local_network_domain_name_here
> >nameserver 297.396.1.2
> >nameserver 297.396.1.3
> >------------------------------------------
> >The addresses supplied here are obvious fakes (>254)
> >but you get the idea...

IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

Post by Jacob L Anawalt » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I believe the other two replies under this thread are correct. When you set up
your tcp/ip on the Win98 box, you need to provide them with:
a gateway (the IP address of your linux box's ethernet card),
an ip address (with a few machines it is easiest to just type it in),
and DNS host IP addresses.

It is easiest to use the DNS address of your ISP, the same ones entered onto
/etc/resolv.conf, and you may aswell set some hostname while you are specifying
the DNS addresses.

With that information when your Win box is presented with the address
http://somewhere.com, it says, I dont know who that is, but xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
(the ISP's nameserver) does. To get to them I need to send my lookup to the
gateway (your linux box) since they arent on my net (preferably 192.168.x.x).
It goes to the gateway and ipchains do their duty just as they did when you
typed in an IP address.

Quote:> I have my /etc/resolv.conf set that way.  It connects to the internet fine.
> What's happening is that when I type in an IP address of a site on the Win98
> machine it will go there no problem, but, if I type in
> http://www.pricewatch.com  it will not connect to it.  This is using
> Internet Explorer on the other box.  The Howto said to try the IP address
> first for the test, so there must be a solution to this?  Thanks.

> Ed

> >Try putting the IP address of your DNS server(s) into /etc/resolv.conf
> >You have to go to a DNS server to resolve a name to a number.

> >Your /etc/resolv.conf should look something like this:
> >------------------------------------------
> >search your_local_network_domain_name_here
> >nameserver 297.396.1.2
> >nameserver 297.396.1.3
> >------------------------------------------
> >The addresses supplied here are obvious fakes (>254)
> >but you get the idea...

IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

Post by Ed » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

You guy's are great. You pin pointed the problem.  It was entering the DNS
info on the win98 machine.  I'm writing this on the Win98 and going trough
Linux.  I'm a happy man now, it's all starting to come together.  Thanks fo
all the help that was offered, it is greatly appreciated.

                                                                Ed

Quote:> Do you enter the DNS in your windoze box under Control
>Panel/Network/TCPIP->NIC/DNS Configuration/DNS Server Search Order ?
>That may be the reason. Hope it helps.

>--
>Eugene

1. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

Hello there,
I have the unusual problem of not being able to ping the machines host name
or host IP address from the host.
I've checkout the network settings and I can't seem to find any problems.  I
am able to ping & telnet to the machine
from the network.  Seems quite strange.

Any help would be really appreciated.

thanks,

Owen.

Here is output from ifconfig

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          BROADCAST LOOPBACK  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          collisions:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:08:83:28:08
          inet addr:10.0.0.100  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

PING penguin (10.0.0.100): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote penguin 64 chars, ret=-1

--- penguin ping statistics ---

PING 10.0.0.100 (10.0.0.100): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote 10.0.0.100 64 chars, ret=-1

--- 10.0.0.100 ping statistics ---

2. apache question.

3. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

4. Semaphore Removal?

5. Problems with masquerade my IP address and host name.

6. Syquest

7. IP Masquerading with IP Address and Mac Address Restrictions

8. Date command only uses GMT

9. Changing a host's name/ip address

10. LAN monitoring app to get a host's NetBios name + IP address?

11. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

12. how to change domain name, host name, ip address

13. can't host a site using dynamic ip address?