Silly Question - How to change "virtual" screen resolution in X11?

Post by Jason Lapris » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Howdy,
> This may be a stupid question, but I am still very new to Linux.
> I am using REDHAT 4.0, and have a mach64 vieo card.
> When I use X11, my video resolution is 800x600 but I can't figure out
> how to change or turn off the "virtual" desktop.

> Any help appreciated.  Thank for helping a Newbie

> Jim Failure

Take a look at your /etc/XF86Config file.  There will be an entry in the
screen section "Virtual ### ###" this is where you set the size of the
Virtual Screen.  If you don't want it set it the same as your
resolution. i.e., Virtual 800 600.

Hope that helps!

Silly Question - How to change "virtual" screen resolution in X11?

Post by Tom Shiel » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

The setting is in the file

/etc/X11/XF86Config

I believe in the Display section there is a virtual "1024 768" line or
something like that.

--
Tom Shield
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics

http://www.aem.umn.edu/people/faculty/shield/

Silly Question - How to change "virtual" screen resolution in X11?

Post by Jason Lapris » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Are you sure you changed the right entry.  There will be several
different Virtual lines depending on the XServer and within each server
there are separate entries for each color depth.  Make sure you edited
the proper line.

Good Luck!

Silly Question - How to change "virtual" screen resolution in X11?

Post by Andrew Morr » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > Howdy,
: > This may be a stupid question, but I am still very new to Linux.
: > I am using REDHAT 4.0, and have a mach64 vieo card.
: > When I use X11, my video resolution is 800x600 but I can't figure out
: > how to change or turn off the "virtual" desktop.
: >

<snip snap>

: Take a look at your /etc/XF86Config file.  There will be an entry in the
: screen section "Virtual ### ###" this is where you set the size of the
: Virtual Screen.  If you don't want it set it the same as your
: resolution. i.e., Virtual 800 600.

: Hope that helps!

I did this, and still get my screen runneth over :-(

any more ideas?

--
Andrew

Silly Question - How to change "virtual" screen resolution in X11?

Post by Ian COWEL » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

<snip>
> : > When I use X11, my video resolution is 800x600 but I can't figure
> : > out how to change or turn off the "virtual" desktop.
> : >
> <snip snap>
> : Take a look at your /etc/XF86Config file.
<snip>
> : Virtual 800 600.
> I did this, and still get my screen runneth over :-(

> any more ideas?
> Andrew

Are you talking about the Virtual screen or the Virtual desktop?
If it is the Virtual desktop, then look at the man page for your
window manager (eg: fvwm). It man fvwm has
       DeskTopSize HorizontalxVertical
              Defines the virtual desktop size in  units  of  the
              physical screen size.

The Virtual screen is set by XF86Config. The value is set by the
Virtual Screen as noted above or by the first mode in the display line
if no virtual screen is found (or commented out of course).
--
Ian Cowell