Please help with kde

Post by Eugene Din » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Please help me be 100% Micro$oft free.

Ok, I got all the kde rpm's that I need (I think), and installed them
with no problems.  One of the installation instructions was to edit the
.xinitrc file and remove anything that looks like it is calling a window
manager and replace it with "startkde", the proble is that i can't find
this file on my system.  I am using redhat 5.1 (manhatten), on a P133,
64m ram, with the afterstep window manager.  I also tried calling the
command "startkde" but that didn't work either.  I installed this under
"root", which I think may also be a problem, since it dosen't seem to
have a "home" directory which is where the faq for kde says the .xinitrc
file is located.  Please help a newbie.

Please help with kde

Post by noney » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Please help me be 100% Micro$oft free.

> Ok, I got all the kde rpm's that I need (I think), and installed them
> with no problems.  One of the installation instructions was to edit the
> .xinitrc file and remove anything that looks like it is calling a window
> manager and replace it with "startkde", the proble is that i can't find
> this file on my system.  I am using redhat 5.1 (manhatten), on a P133,
> 64m ram, with the afterstep window manager.  I also tried calling the
> command "startkde" but that didn't work either.  I installed this under
> "root", which I think may also be a problem, since it dosen't seem to
> have a "home" directory which is where the faq for kde says the .xinitrc
> file is located.  Please help a newbie.

Type "ls -a" at the root prompt and see if the file is there.

Please help with kde

Post by Greg » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Please help me be 100% Micro$oft free.

>Ok, I got all the kde rpm's that I need (I think), and installed them
>with no problems.  One of the installation instructions was to edit the
>.xinitrc file and remove anything that looks like it is calling a window
>manager and replace it with "startkde", the proble is that i can't find
>this file on my system.  I am using redhat 5.1 (manhatten), on a P133,
>64m ram, with the afterstep window manager.  I also tried calling the
>command "startkde" but that didn't work either.  I installed this under
>"root", which I think may also be a problem, since it dosen't seem to
>have a "home" directory which is where the faq for kde says the .xinitrc
>file is located.  Please help a newbie.

The .xinitrc should be somewhere in /etc/x11/xinit/ or something. I had a
little trouble setting up KDE as the default windows manager, finally I
cleared the whole .xinitrc file (except the lovely comments at the
beginning), and inserted
exec startkde
After a re-login it should work.

Note: Did you add the KDE path to your path and create a KDEDIR variable?
You should edit your /etc/profile file:
add /opt/kde/bin to the path line (note those : between the values)
add a line: KDEDIR=/opt/kde
and append to the line beginning with export: KDE

Greg

Ps: if X starts without a window manager, you can exit with
<ctrl+alt+bkspace>

Please help with kde

Post by N. Emile Akabi-Davi » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Please help me be 100% Micro$oft free.

> Ok, I got all the kde rpm's that I need (I think), and installed them
> with no problems.  One of the installation instructions was to edit the
> .xinitrc file and remove anything that looks like it is calling a window
> manager and replace it with "startkde", the proble is that i can't find
> this file on my system.  I am using redhat 5.1 (manhatten), on a P133,
> 64m ram, with the afterstep window manager.  I also tried calling the
> command "startkde" but that didn't work either.  I installed this under
> "root", which I think may also be a problem, since it dosen't seem to
> have a "home" directory which is where the faq for kde says the .xinitrc
> file is located.  Please help a newbie.

The kde rpms install kde in /opt/kde.
The startkde script is found in /opt/kde/bin.
It is advisable that you create an addition user
to do stuff in and su to root when necessary.
Users have their home directory of /home. If you
log in as root, then edit the /root/.xinitrc
file, comment out the call to afterstep and
add /opt/kde/bin/startkde as the last line
in the file.

Caio                            |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
N.Emile <DeR vInYl JuNkIe>      |  do not get until just after you need it.
/*Standard disclaimer in place*/|        Help Stamp out and Abolish
#include <disclaimer.h>         |         Redundancy and Repitition.

1. Please Help with KDE crash only as root (KFM part of problem?)

Hello,
Please help with this problem which started yesterday.

Problem: When I log in as root, KDE starts up as usual, but:
1) does not load any desktop icons,
2) the "start" menu is visible, but can't start most apps from it,
however, can use a few items, such as
logout
3) when checking system status with TOP (started from a terminal
window), it shows KFM to be
continually using ~99% of CPU.  Likewise, using PS, it is continually
running.  I'm not sure if this means
anything, but also under PS - the WCHAN value is 0?
4) I can start most programs by starting them from a terminal
5) when clicking on an entry in the menu, Konsole for example, nothing
happens, except the button stays
depressed.
6) PLEASE NOTE THAT WHEN LOGGED IN AS A USER IT WORKS FINE

What I have tried:
Manually: kill (pid associated with KFM).  This releases the visually
depressed button, but has no other
noticeable affect.
Can't come up  with any changes I have made which would have created
this problem?

Please help.  I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Also, I would
be glad to provide any more info
if requested.

I thought I had graduated to above newbie level, but now i'm not so
sure.

Thanks, Geoff

ps.  What are the CORE files all over my hard drive.  Can they be
deleted?

2. What does ELF GCC give?

3. kde help (please help)

4. NetBSD's "k5login.c" -- question

5. help with kde (please help)

6. resources to set up isp needed

7. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

8. Mandrake 7.0 - Trackball setup

10. NFS please help me please please please sniff

11. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

12. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

13. A little Gentoo plus X&KDE help please