random errors when compiling 2.2.16 kernel

Post by ray » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> As above ..

> they occur in random places, and usually involve EOF errors. I've tried
> grabbing the source from various places.

> Basic install is Slackware 7. 2.2.13 as supplied works just fine, but
> isn't complete for my needs.

> Any ideas?

> --
>              Tony Quinn --- The Voice Of Insanity

    Here's an idea you are not gonna like :) I have encountered this one
maybe 3,4 times. It has always turned out to be RAM somewhere. Either the
real ram, the cache on the mbd, someplace. On dualboot boxes, I have seen
this where winders would run without a hitch, but linux would NOT compile
anything non-trivial, and never bail out at the same place in the code.
I have no idea what does that, but the fix has always been other ram
sticks or other cache chips.

--
Ray R. Jones
Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

HTTP://gordo.penguinpowered.com

random errors when compiling 2.2.16 kernel

Post by ray » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >> As above ..

> >> they occur in random places, and usually involve EOF errors. I've tried
> >> grabbing the source from various places.

> >> Basic install is Slackware 7. 2.2.13 as supplied works just fine, but
> >> isn't complete for my needs.

> >    Here's an idea you are not gonna like :) I have encountered this one
> >maybe 3,4 times. It has always turned out to be RAM somewhere. Either the
> >real ram, the cache on the mbd, someplace. On dualboot boxes, I have seen
> >this where winders would run without a hitch, but linux would NOT compile
> >anything non-trivial, and never bail out at the same place in the code.
> >I have no idea what does that, but the fix has always been other ram
> >sticks or other cache chips.

> Believe it or not - this worked. I reseated the memory modules in the
> machine (after removing them) - *y compiled first time.!!!!!
> --
>              Tony Quinn --- The Voice Of Insanity

    OK, great, BUT, we now know the culprit, (oxidation) and you haven't
fixed that box yet. Pull the sticks, find an old yellow wood pencil, scrub
contacts (both sides) with the eraser. Watch tremendous bright shining occur.
BLOW away the crumbs, (wiping causes too much static) and put 'em back. Good
for 2, maybe 3 years.

--
Ray R. Jones
Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. need help with kernel patching 2.2.16 -> 2.2.16-1

Hello,

I am trying to get a clean 2.2.16-1 kernel source so I can do some LRP
development. I have downloaded the kernel-2.2.16-1.i386.srpm from
sourceforge and installed it. Inside of that I have untarred the 2.2.16
clean source. The problem I am having is that applying the patches produces
many errors. I have no idea about which order to apply them in and I think
this is the reason.

Can anyone tell me how to apply all the patches in the SRPM in the correct
order? Is there a shell script or something I am missing?

Thanks.

Erik Myllymaki

2. 3com Vortex dies with 2.0.30

3. bootsect.o error during 2.2.16 kernel compile

4. Failover router ?

5. Compiling 2.2.16 kernel on Dell PowerEdge

6. Telnet = Problem with backspace,delete,end,home ...

7. kernel 2.2.16-3 from RH won't compile (custom)

8. POVRAY Help Needed

9. Compiling tulip.c and pci-scan.c for 2.2.16-22smp kernel (RH 7.0)

10. custom compile 2.2.16-3 gives error about errno.h

11. compile error with RH 2.2.16-3

12. kernel 2.2.16: no sound or parport "unresolved symbols" error.

13. "Unresolved symbol errors" in sound and parallel port modules of kernel 2.2.16