Compiling kernel 2.4.10

Post by Dennis Alle » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:12:41

Hello.  I have Mandrake 8.0/kernel 2.4.3.  I need to apply a patch called
linux-abi-2.4.??.0.diff to the kernel.  I was told I needed an unpatched
kernel, so I download linux-2.4.10.tar.gz from www.kernel.org.  Here's what
I've done thus far:

cp /usr/src/linux/.config  /root
cd /usr/src
rm -rf linux
tar zxvf /root/linux-2.4.10.tar.gz
mv linux linux-2.4.10
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.10 /usr/src/linux
cd /usr/src
patch -p0 < /root/linux-abi-2.4.10.0.diff
cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make disclean
cp /root/.config  .
make oldconfig
make dep;make clean;make bzdisk
make modules

On the oldconfig, [y]es to the ABI/iBCS2 prompts, ignored the rest. The
bootfloppy was created, but the [make modules] ran into errors like:

aironet4500_card.c 56: excess elements in scalar intializator

Upon reboot, a few [FAILED] modules, including my vfat.

Question(s).  Does the Mandrake kernel 2.4.3 source have customized modules
that I need?  Do I need a more recent copy of modutils (if so, from where)?

I feel I'm close to getting this to work.  Any help would be
appreciated...Dennis

Compiling kernel 2.4.10

Post by Rob Jane » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:53:53

Well, I'm running Mandrake 8.0.  I started with the stock kernel but I
replaced it with 2.4.9.
Why not 2.4.10?  - I tried using 2.4.10 to make a boot floppy with a ramdisk.
After a day of kernel oops and panics, and judicious insertation of printk's
in the kernel code, I found that 2.4.10, and only 2.4.10, does not handle
ramdisks that come from a raw disk device at all well.  Seems to do well
enough if the ramdisk has already been read into memory (like an initrd).  I
read some other discussions about 2.4.10, so I thought I'd better put 2.4.10
on the shelf for now.

1. are you sure this patch applies to 2.4.10?
2. make mrproper and make distclean are reduntant if you've just unpacked the
kernel source
3. make clean; make dep && make bzdisk && make modules (just nitpicking)
But, I suspect the problem is:
********************************
4. make modules_install wasn't done.
********************************

The config you've taken is probably at best suitable for mandrake 8.0/2.4.3.
You should run make menuconfig in the 2.4.10 directory and have a real close
look at what you're doing.  Your make oldconfig is nice, but you've changed
kernel rev's and you are on thin ice my man.  Secondly, I'd suggest removing
the tic beside the module causing the problem, aironet or whatever.  Unless of
course you really need that module and kudzo is going to resent it's absence
bitterly.  If that's the case I'd suggest trying a different linux version.

I haven't looked closely at the stock mandrake kernel setup, but these
kernel/modules/kudzo combos tend to put an "M" next to everything in sight.
Kudzo takes kare of the initrd and the /etc/modules.conf, safe in the
knowledge that the module is there.  If the module ain't there, there's a
problem.  Depending on your kernel setup, your boot may fail.  Mostly, this
would be because the initrd wasn't there.  I doubt that's your problem cause
you're getting way past that if you're seeing vfat problems.  Besides, you
didn't say the boot failed.

No, the reason you're getting the vfat problem is simply that
1. your /etc/fstab specifies a vfat filesystem
2. vfat wasn't compiled into your 2.4.10 kernel, and
3. the vfat module wasn't installed because you never got to do a "make
modules_install" for 2.4.10 cause the "make modules" step failed.

Quick, simple solution is to
1. make menuconfig, find the aironet and drop it.  Looks like it's a pcmcia
network card - CONFIG_AIRONET4500_CS in .config.
2. pick up where you left off, don't start from the beginning (unless you
really want that coffee).
3. make dep && make modules && make modules_install

Try this one:
x() { echo -e "\n\n*******************\n*** LOOK $*\n*******************"; $*;

Quote:}

{ x make dep && x make modules && x make modules_install; } 2>&1 | tee
/tmp/listing-modules
Go away, come back.  If you want to see the start and end of each of the
steps, browse /tmp/listing-modules and look for LOOK.
The && means that if a step fails the rest of the chain will not be run.

I'm assuming you aren't using csh.  I don't think the x() { ... } thing will
work for csh.
This is what I usually do, but I also add make bzImage - "x make dep && x make
bzImage && x make modules && x make modules_install"
Then I copy in the bzImage and System.map to /boot by hand, making sure not to
overwrite whatever's already in there.
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.10
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new
Then add /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new to my /etc/lilo.conf, NOT replacing the
current, working, one just yet.

The snag here is that I don't know how to tell the rc.sysinit that I'm running
bzImage-2.4.10-new, so it links up System.map-2.4.10.  If anybody knows this
one, I'd appreciate an email.

I doubt you'll need the latest and greatest modutils.  Mandrake 8.0 should
have what it takes for the entire 2.4.x series.

Rob

> Hello.  I have Mandrake 8.0/kernel 2.4.3.  I need to apply a patch called
> linux-abi-2.4.??.0.diff to the kernel.  I was told I needed an unpatched
> kernel, so I download linux-2.4.10.tar.gz from www.kernel.org.  Here's what
> I've done thus far:

> cp /usr/src/linux/.config  /root
> cd /usr/src
> rm -rf linux
> tar zxvf /root/linux-2.4.10.tar.gz
> mv linux linux-2.4.10
> ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.10 /usr/src/linux
> cd /usr/src
> patch -p0 < /root/linux-abi-2.4.10.0.diff
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make mrproper
> make disclean
> cp /root/.config  .
> make oldconfig
> make dep;make clean;make bzdisk
> make modules

> On the oldconfig, [y]es to the ABI/iBCS2 prompts, ignored the rest. The
> bootfloppy was created, but the [make modules] ran into errors like:

> aironet4500_card.c 56: excess elements in scalar intializator

> Upon reboot, a few [FAILED] modules, including my vfat.

> Question(s).  Does the Mandrake kernel 2.4.3 source have customized modules
> that I need?  Do I need a more recent copy of modutils (if so, from where)?

> I feel I'm close to getting this to work.  Any help would be
> appreciated...Dennis

Compiling kernel 2.4.10

Post by Dennis Alle » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 13:21:38

Appreciate the reply.  Quick answers to your questions:

1) Yes, got the linux-abi-2.4.10.0.diff patch.
2) Just trying to be safe.
3) make bzdisk worked.  Reboots fine, just those [FAILED] modules.
4) It was make modules that blew up.  Tried a make modules_install, but
didn't get far.

I figured maybe my modutils was out of date.  Downloaded linux-2.4.3.tar.gx
and linux-abi-2.4.3.0.diff.  My make modules went farther, but still blew
up.  I did a make modules/make modules_install on my orignal distribution
source code.  That worked, but a reboot still sees a lot of [FAILED]
modules, including fs/vfat (unsupported in kernel).

I'd like to try the 2.4.10 kernel again.  I was using cp /root/.config
/usr/src/linux & make oldconfig to keep my current configuration.  I take it
make oldconfig doesn't?  Would make menuconfig?  Does make menuconfig read
off the current .config?  Is that what I need to include vfat in the kernel?

Quote:> Well, I'm running Mandrake 8.0.  I started with the stock kernel but I
> [...]

make
> bzImage && x make modules && x make modules_install"
> Then I copy in the bzImage and System.map to /boot by hand, making sure
not to
> overwrite whatever's already in there.
> cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.10
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new
> Then add /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new to my /etc/lilo.conf, NOT replacing the
> current, working, one just yet.

> The snag here is that I don't know how to tell the rc.sysinit that I'm
running
> bzImage-2.4.10-new, so it links up System.map-2.4.10.  If anybody knows
this
> one, I'd appreciate an email.

> I doubt you'll need the latest and greatest modutils.  Mandrake 8.0 should
> have what it takes for the entire 2.4.x series.

Compiling kernel 2.4.10

Post by Rob Jane » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 05:46:17

Until you get make modules working you are going to get a lot of failed
modules.  None of the modules will be installed, including vfat.  Your original
installation (2.4.3) will work better, but only because the modules are mostly
already there and don't need to be installed again.  Unfortunately, your new
2.4.10 has no modules installed already.

I have to wonder if your kernel compiles correctly without the abi diff
applied, ie just a stock kernel, the tar still shiney and steaming.
1. Put the kernel code in place.
2. copy in your .config
3. make clean && make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make
modules_install
Did it work?
If *Ok*, then apply the abi patch.
4. make menuconfig, make sure the abi settings make sense to you
5. make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install
Still errors?  Well, since there were no errors before the patch, and there are
errors now after the patch, the patch must be the source of the problem.

Steps 1,2 and 3 will confirm that your .config is an "ok" .config.
Steps 4 and 5 will point the finger at the patch.  If the error you showed
before comes up again, I'd say that you can't have AIRONET4500 and your abi
patch at the same time.  At this point I'd recommend you follow my advice to
de-.config the AIRONET4500 pcmcia network card, unless you just happen to need
that on what is presumably your laptop.

As for the modutils upgrade note from Gene - well, I'd like to say if it ain't
broke don't fixit, but that's only good for real life.  Seems to me it never
hurts to be on the bleeding edge.  Did I just say that?  I must be talking
outloud again.

Sorry, Gene, it's good advice.  Dennis, ignore my ramblings.  Just stay away
from those daily cvs updates.

I'd like to point out though that Dennis's problem is during the kernel build
phase.  An upgraded modutils modprobe will still fail to find an nonexistent
vfat module.  My point is that modutils doesn't come into play during the
kernel build phase, as far as I know.

Good luck!

Rob

> [...]

> make
> > bzImage && x make modules && x make modules_install"
> > Then I copy in the bzImage and System.map to /boot by hand, making sure
> not to
> > overwrite whatever's already in there.
> > cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.10
> > cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new
> > Then add /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new to my /etc/lilo.conf, NOT replacing the
> > current, working, one just yet.

> > The snag here is that I don't know how to tell the rc.sysinit that I'm
> running
> > bzImage-2.4.10-new, so it links up System.map-2.4.10.  If anybody knows
> this
> > one, I'd appreciate an email.

> > I doubt you'll need the latest and greatest modutils.  Mandrake 8.0 should
> > have what it takes for the entire 2.4.x series.

Compiling kernel 2.4.10

Post by Rob Jane » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 06:30:52

Oops, I seem to recall some problems unpacking the kernel, copying in the .config
and running make dep right away.
If there's problems, maybe you need to do make menuconfig after you copy in the
.config.  make (old)config is nice and fine, but you sure have to hit enter a lot
of times.
Rob
Rob Janes wrote:
> [...]

> > make
> > > bzImage && x make modules && x make modules_install"
> > > Then I copy in the bzImage and System.map to /boot by hand, making sure
> > not to
> > > overwrite whatever's already in there.
> > > cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.10
> > > cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new
> > > Then add /boot/bzImage-2.4.10-new to my /etc/lilo.conf, NOT replacing the
> > > current, working, one just yet.

> > > The snag here is that I don't know how to tell the rc.sysinit that I'm
> > running
> > > bzImage-2.4.10-new, so it links up System.map-2.4.10.  If anybody knows
> > this
> > > one, I'd appreciate an email.

> > > I doubt you'll need the latest and greatest modutils.  Mandrake 8.0 should
> > > have what it takes for the entire 2.4.x series.

Compiling kernel 2.4.10

Post by Dennis Alle » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:31:30

Here is what I did:

cp /usr/src/linux/.config  /root
cd /usr/src
rm -rf linux
tar zxvf /root/linux-2.4.3.tar.gz
mv linux linux-2.4.3.0
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.3.0 /usr/src/linux
cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
cp /root/.config  .
make menuconfig
make dep;make clean;make bzdisk;make modules

Got as far as buz.c and gave some allocation errors.  When I ran the make
menuconfig, didn't do anything, just exited.  It changed my .config from 33k
to 29k.

Now I recompiled the distribution source code that came with my Mandrake
8.0/kernel 2.4.3 and that worked.  So how come I can't recompile a clean
kernel?  Is it because I have only a 64Mb machine?

Quote:> Oops, I seem to recall some problems unpacking the kernel, copying in the
.config
> and running make dep right away.
> If there's problems, maybe you need to do make menuconfig after you copy
in the
> .config.  make (old)config is nice and fine, but you sure have to hit
enter a lot
> of times.
> Rob

1. VM: 2.4.10 vs. 2.4.10-ac2 and qsort()

Just rip it off NetBSD and there you go. (FreeBSD's breaks on machines
like SPARC, NetBSD's does not.)

http://www.de.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/basesrc/lib/libc/stdlib/merg...
-

2. Mounting CD-ROM

3. Error Compiling kernel 2.4.10

4. Very basic newbie question (RH 7.3 vs 9.0)

5. Swapping in 2.4.10.SuSE-3 (2.4.10aa1 + some patches).

6. How do I increase # of file descriptors/process in AIX?

7. PPTP/GRE masquerading in kernel 2.4.18 changed (since kernel 2.4.10)?

8. NULL directory name in SunOS 3.5

9. 2.4.10-ac12 compile error

10. Compile of 2.4.10-ac12 dies on sparc64

11. Problems After Compiling 2.4.10

12. Compile problem with 2.4.10-ac1

13. kernel 2.4.10 masquerading (debian)