Headless

Post by D. C. & M. V. Session » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

(Yeah, we know: not really the right group.)

Does anyone know the trick for firing up a PC
sans keyboard?  We would really rather have a
serial connection to the box with the full UI.

----
.signature under construction

Headless

:
: Does anyone know the trick for firing up a PC
: sans keyboard?  We would really rather have a
: serial connection to the box with the full UI.

Two problems: will the bios let you boot?  Many have an option to not
check, or at least not halt if it's absent.  Secondly, you need to
include serial console support in the kernel if you want full access,
or just get it to start up a getty on the port when it is running.
There's a patch for the 2.0.x kernel out there somewhere I think, the
2.2.x kernels include it already.

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short

can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

1. Installing on headless box with poor config

OK, so I run a box that, for various reasons, has no video card. Normally
not a problem; FreeBSD works well on console, so forth, so on. The problem
is, I was hacked a month or two back, and need to resinstall. Also, I appear
to have, for some insane reason, set the hard drive as the first boot
device. So I can't boot from CD or floppy.

My question is, what now? How do I get this to install without ripping
the machine down and installing a video card?

Jamie

2. ANSWER: Adjusting finger output

3. headless server "kit" for Linux?

4. Debian Install

5. Headless

6. Rapid Resume support?

7. Q: Can an IPX go headless

8. looking for ftp class

9. Xwindow Remote Access to Headless Sparc Running Solaris 2.6 to 8

10. Headless servers

11. Headless Linux

12. Lilo on a headless box

13. Coverting a 2.6 machine to run headless