Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

Post by John Pfaf » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I'm not sure about Slackware, but I know in the RedHat /etc/rc.d/...
scripts, those files are generated from scratch.  Check there.

Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

Post by Donald J. Darli » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: I am having some very basic problems with 'motd' and 'issue'. I am
: currently running the Slackware distribution with kernel 2.0.27. Whenever
: I edit the two files and logout the changes take effect. If I shut
: my system down and start up as though I had just turned the power on,
: it overwrites these two files with its old defaults. What gives?

Look in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.S

The default versions of this file contain lines that wipe issue and motd
and create new ones.  If you want to keep your changes, you have to
comment out these lines.

        Don

Post by sjhill7 » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I am having some very basic problems with 'motd' and 'issue'. I am
currently running the Slackware distribution with kernel 2.0.27. Whenever
I edit the two files and logout the changes take effect. If I shut
my system down and start up as though I had just turned the power on,
it overwrites these two files with its old defaults. What gives?
Replies to:

Stev

Post by Brian McCaule » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:sjhill71 writes:
> I am having some very basic problems with 'motd' and 'issue'. I am
> currently running the Slackware distribution with kernel 2.0.27. Whenever
> I edit the two files and logout the changes take effect. If I shut
> my system down and start up as though I had just turned the power on,
> it overwrites these two files with its old defaults.

Comment out the commands that are doing this.  Look for the strings
"motd" and "issue" in your startup scripts.

Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

Post by s.. » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm not sure about Slackware, but I know in the RedHat /etc/rc.d/...
>scripts, those files are generated from scratch.  Check there.

Same with Slackware. I found it annoying and edited it out, but recently
I even saw this in the startup scripts of a SunOS box, so perhaps it is
a 'unix thingy'.

Maybe the underlying philosophy is that if the system has rebooted, it
*must* have been to upgrade the kernel. I mean, what *other* reason could
there possible be to down a unix box? ;-)

CU, Sico.

--

Post by balgl.. » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Maybe the underlying philosophy is that if the system has rebooted, it
>*must* have been to upgrade the kernel. I mean, what *other* reason could
>there possible be to down a unix box? ;-)

An obvious one; hardware upgrade.

                                                De digitale paardenslager
                                                        Jan van den Broek

Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

Post by Bob » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

On 14 Apr 1997, it was written:

Quote:> Date: 14 Apr 1997 00:18:14 GMT
> From: sjhill71
> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup, comp.os.linux.misc
> Subject: Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

> I am having some very basic problems with 'motd' and 'issue'. I am
> currently running the Slackware distribution with kernel 2.0.27. Whenever
> I edit the two files and logout the changes take effect. If I shut
> my system down and start up as though I had just turned the power on,
> it overwrites these two files with its old defaults. What gives?

look in /etc/rc.d/rc.S

> Replies to:

> Stev

bob

                              |  http://www.norcom.net.au
Yes, I am on the interthingy  |  If it aint broke, fix it, then it will be

1. Help:How to use 'router','mailq','zmailer' etc?

Hi.  My school doesn't offer slip/ppp connection, so I'm force
to use a program call 'slirp' to emulate ppp.  One good thing about
slirp is that it can execute a program and route it to a particular port
of your choice.  For example, I can get slirp to execute 'smtpserver -n'
and redir it to port 25, so I can send out e-mail this way.  I would
like to retrieve email to my home computer also.  I hope by learning how
to use the 'router', 'mailq', and 'zmailer' command, I can do it.  Can
someone please tell me how?  I assume that I have to start one of the
program and then redir it to port 110.  Please help.
--
Lin, Xu(Vincent)      University of Toronto(Computer Engineering)

Please visit the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Webpage at:
        http://www.cnd.org/njmassacre/index.html
"The greatness of a mind is determined by the depth of its suffering" -
Nausicaa
"Our lives are like the wind...or like the sounds.  We come into being,
resonate with each other... then fade away." - Nausicaa

2. MANPATH

3. SOLUTIONS TO: /etc/rc.net, /etc/host.conf and 'ps' problems

4. DDI/DKI for writing device driver on Solaris 2.X

5. /etc/passwd & /etc/group behaviour with 'rsh'

6. APS + GS 4.0.3 help

7. /etc/passwd & /etc/group with 'rsh'

8. login not finding id in utmp anymore

9. ??: 'bootpd' and '/etc/bootptab' Examples?

10. ssh hangs with commands like 'ls -la', 'vi ...' etc.

11. Changing 'issue' & 'issue.net' with Mandrake?

12. Is there a way to issue 'ndd -set' command from /etc/system

13. Need help on 'ifup ppp0 &', '/etc/resolv.conf' & '/etc/ppp/options'