Xfilemanager: 'Segmentation fault' (Slackware 3.0)

Xfilemanager: 'Segmentation fault' (Slackware 3.0)

Post by STEFAN WALLNE » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I installed Linux using Slackware 3.0. Each time you start the Xfilemanager,
the first window is displayed, but after placing the second (I think it's the
application window) both disappear and 'xfilemanager: segmentation fault' is
printed. I compiled the xfilemanager on my own, but this didn't help. If you

Thank you,

Stefan

Post by Bernard Matthew » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I installed Linux using Slackware 3.0. Each time you start the Xfilemanager,
> the first window is displayed, but after placing the second (I think it's the
> application window) both disappear and 'xfilemanager: segmentation fault' is
> printed. I compiled the xfilemanager on my own, but this didn't help. If you

I have a similar problem, but I don't get the second window -- I
segfault
right away.  On an earlier version I think this was related to an icon
for
the 'tar' file type not being compiled into the program -- as long as I
avoided directories with ungzip'd tar files I was okay :-)

Does anyone know if the current problem is similar?

----- bernard

Xfilemanager: 'Segmentation fault' (Slackware 3.0)

Post by Ian Pack » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

If anyone comes up with the definitive how to get xfilemanager to work with
Slackware 3.0, please, please tell me. I get a flash of a window and nothing.
Unfortunately I'm too new to Unix to sort it out, the thought of firing up the
de*s has got me quaking. Besides it'll take me 6 months to come to grips
with X and Unix architectures.

: >

Post by John Timmer » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> If anyone comes up with the definitive how to get xfilemanager to work with
> Slackware 3.0, please, please tell me. I get a flash of a window and nothing.
> Unfortunately I'm too new to Unix to sort it out, the thought of firing up the
> de*s has got me quaking. Besides it'll take me 6 months to come to grips
> with X and Unix architectures.

...it's broken, and don't get worked up over it.  Here's what you do, to have all
the functionality of xfilemanager, plus about 3 million other features.  If you
have mc (midnight commander) on your system, fine, you're halfways there.  If you
don't have it, get it now (check a sunsite mirror or net search for it).  Then
bring up an xterm once you've started an xsession, and type at the prompt:

        exec color_xterm -geom 80x46 -fn 9x15 -bg black -e mc -xc &

...you can also put this line into your window manager script in its' accepted
format.  Read the relevant manpages.

BTW, if you don't have mc-3.1.2 (or one of the very latest releases), get it --
its hotter than the latest Gypsy Mambo Kings CD.

--
Regards -- my other signature is illegible...

Post by Les Schaff » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>> If anyone comes up with the definitive how to get xfilemanager to work with
>> Slackware 3.0, please, please tell me.

if you have accesss to the sources, here is a patch to get it working
fine....

to be brief, there was trouble with a NULL pointer (dir->link)

*** dir_orig.c  Fri Sep 24 05:57:36 1993
--- dir.c       Sat Jan  6 20:39:28 1996
***************
*** 256,263 ****
                drawDir (dir_area, dir, b, b);
        }

!       if (dir->x + 24 + 8*strlen(dir->name) > *lx)
!               *lx = dir->x + 24 + 8*(strlen(dir->name)+strlen(dir->link));

        /*
         * Alle Unterdirectories zeichnen fall Directory offen
--- 256,270 ----
                drawDir (dir_area, dir, b, b);
        }

!       if (dir->x + 24 + 8*strlen(dir->name) > *lx)
!         {
!           if( (dir->link) != 0x0 ) {
!             *lx = dir->x + 24 +
8*(strlen(dir->name)+strlen(dir->link));
!           }
!           else {
!             *lx = dir->x + 24 + 8 * ( strlen(dir->name) );
!           }
!         }

        /*
         * Alle Unterdirectories zeichnen fall Directory offen

1. xcalendar 3.0 'Segmentation fault' ?

I downloaded subject program from a mirror site (xcalendar.tar.Z) and
installed per README file. upon starting it I get the message
'Segmentation fault'.

I am using Linux 1.2.8 from Slackware V2.3. Any advice for a fix?

Also are there any better calendar/schedule planning tools I might try
under Linux?

Thanks, Allen
--
Address:

Dr. Allen Wilkinson           (phone) (216) 433-2075
NASA Lewis Research Center    (fax)   (216) 433-8660
M.S. 500-102
21000 Brookpark Road

2. SLS experience, snd-driv-1.99.9 question

3. PPP 'Divide Error', 'Segmentation Fault'

4. ? .htaccess applied to cgi-bin ?

5. Installing 'X' from SlackWare 2.2.0 in a SlackWare 3.0 system?

6. Running NIS+ and YP on the same net with the same domainname ?

7. Segmentation Fault with 'rcatalk start' (AppleTalk)

8. Sed Question

9. NTeX for Slackware 3.0 gives segmentation faults

10. I've read/am reading the faq's - but what is a Segmentation fault?

11. Wvdial: Segmentation fault after installing modem with 'Intel 536ep chipset'.

12. can't load library 'libgdbm.so.2' with Slackware 3.0 installation

13. Running make causes 'Segmentation fault'