Can't Download Newsgroup Lists

Post by Alan Bumpu » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

This Problem exists on all the newsgroup readers I've tried. I try to down
load the list of newsgroups from my server and it downloads a partial list
and stops. netscape downloads about 187K and then says stalled. Staroffice
downloads about 10,000 groups and stops. The same for Krn. When it happens
the HD starts to gring a little.

Is the something that needs to be complied into the kernel or a proticol
setup or a program installed. I've been working at this for 4 days now since
I got my new modem. Its great to be able to use linux for the internet and
email I just wish I could get the newsreaders working.

al

Can't Download Newsgroup Lists

Post by Roberto Alsin » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> This Problem exists on all the newsgroup readers I've tried. I try to
down
> load the list of newsgroups from my server and it downloads a partial
list
> and stops. netscape downloads about 187K and then says stalled.
Staroffice
> downloads about 10,000 groups and stops. The same for Krn. When it
happens
> the HD starts to gring a little.

> Is the something that needs to be complied into the kernel or a
proticol
> setup or a program installed. I've been working at this for 4 days now
since
> I got my new modem. Its great to be able to use linux for the internet
and
> email I just wish I could get the newsreaders working.

I'd say it's a problem with your newsserver, but maybe this will help
you:

KRN uses a very simple way to store the list of newsgroups:

One per row, in a text file, in ~/.kde/share/apps/krn/active

So, if you just type your favorite newsgroups there, you won't have a
problem.

Best regards,

--
Roberto Alsina (KDE developer, MFCH)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. cannot download newsgroup list from a nntp server

Hi all,
  Title says it all.  In short, "LIST" command of nntp protocol doesn't work
on Linux, while it works on Win98.
   The trouble is somewhat weird.  Newsgroup list cannot be downloaded by
netscape or trn or any other news reader programs.  Exactly, downloading
stops halfway.  I tried "telnet news.tokyo.att.ne.jp(my nntp server)
119(port # for nntp)" and send "LIST" command, but I got the same result.
The newsgroup list stops halfway.   However, if I choose a specific
newsgroup on trn (say, "g alt.os.linux"), I can download and read that
newsgroup.   And interestingly, this problem does NOT happen on Windows98.
   And it happens also on other nntp servers also.   I don't have any other
problems on the Internet (telnet, pop3, http, ftp, smtp, etc. work fine).

  So I suspect this problem should have something to do with Linux itself.
I use RH6.1 (English version) and the kernel is 2.2.13.

   I would appreciate any help I can get...

Thanks in advance.

2. Mirroring under SCO-UNIX

3. Readdir, Stat: Do They Work In Linux?

4. It's not bad canned meat...

5. Network interfaces affecting each other ?

6. emacs error:can not find libXaw.so.6

7. patch 117518-02 for Solaris8 listed but won't download?

8. How to download from a newsgroup to a MAC IIsi..

9. Download newsgroups for LAN.

10. suck: How to download only messages from a user in a newsgroup

11. Newsgroup group name downloads failure