Filesystems (win95 & CD)

Post by Scott Coppe » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

   I've been a long time Linux user and was trying to
setup my friends computer with RH 5.0.  Anyway, I
came across 2 problems which I do not know how
to solve.

Problem #1:  The Win95 partitions do not mount!
I looked at the partitions with fdisk and the win95
partitions are of type "Windows 95 partition" (or
something like that) which is type "b" (I'm used to
seeing my windows partitions of type "DOS 16-bit

Quote:>=32M" which are type "6"). Anyway, with kernel

2.0.32, they do not mount as VFAT, or any other
type I tried.  What am I missing?

Problem #2:  I burned a CD and tried to mount
it under Linux and it turns out that the CD burned
some UDF filesystem rather than the standard
iso9660. Has anyone seen a filesystem driver for
these types of CD's?

Thanks in advance,

--
Scott Coppen
Tufts University

Filesystems (win95 & CD)

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> Problem #1:  The Win95 partitions do not mount!
> I looked at the partitions with fdisk and the win95
> partitions are of type "Windows 95 partition" (or
> something like that) which is type "b" (I'm used to
> seeing my windows partitions of type "DOS 16-bit
>>=32M" which are type "6"). Anyway, with kernel
> 2.0.32, they do not mount as VFAT, or any other
> type I tried.  What am I missing?

Your friend has a FAT-32 partition.  I'd suggest either installing Red Hat
5.1 rather than 5.0, or using a kernel (patched 2.0.x, 2.0.34, or 2.1.x)
that supports FAT-32.  The patch for most 2.0.x-series kernels is
available at:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/

Quote:> Problem #2:  I burned a CD and tried to mount
> it under Linux and it turns out that the CD burned
> some UDF filesystem rather than the standard
> iso9660. Has anyone seen a filesystem driver for
> these types of CD's?

"UDF filesystem?"  I've no idea what that is.  Please say how you burned
that CD -- was it in Linux, some other Unix, a Mac, Windows, or something
else?  What software did you use?  Only three filesystems are in even
remotely common use on CD-ROMs today: ISO-9660, Joliet, and Mac HFS.
There are various "levels" of some of these, and Rock Ridge is a
(more-or-less) Unix-only extension to ISO-9660 that's in common use in the
Unix world (including Linux).  Linux supports ISO-9660 (with or without
Rock Ridge) natively.  Joliet support is available with the same patch
that provides FAT-32 support.  Mac HFS support is available as a patch to
2.0.x-series kernels or natively in recent 2.1.x kernels.  CDs with Joliet
but not ISO-9660 exist, but are rare, especially when burned by users.
Still, depending on the platform and software you used, it's possible you
created one of these.  Similar comments apply to HFS CD-ROMs.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Filesystems (win95 & CD)

Post by Chris Bro » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

>    I've been a long time Linux user and was trying to
> setup my friends computer with RH 5.0.  Anyway, I
> came across 2 problems which I do not know how
> to solve.

> Problem #1:  The Win95 partitions do not mount!
> I looked at the partitions with fdisk and the win95
> partitions are of type "Windows 95 partition" (or
> something like that) which is type "b" (I'm used to
> seeing my windows partitions of type "DOS 16-bit
>>=32M" which are type "6"). Anyway, with kernel
> 2.0.32, they do not mount as VFAT, or any other
> type I tried.  What am I missing?

First of all, you have to have vfat support compiled into your kernel, as
well as msdos support. You also need the NLS_ISO8859_1 character set
support compiled in. This isn't supported by 2.0.32, but is supported by
2.0.34.

--
"In chaos and riots, the screech of machines |  This space dedicated to
 No right and no wrong and no in between     |    apocalyptic hamsters.

1. HDWR Req-HD/CD-IDEvsSCCI WIN95&LINUX

I am doing a upgrade with my Pentium 90 system.

Question:
 Can I use an IDE type CD ROM Drive
with LINUX or does linux require a SCCI type CD ROM Drive?

Current system ------------------------------------

OS                         windows3.1
Controller Card        IDE
HD                         540 Meg
FD                         3.5" and 5 1/4"
CD                         None
Sound Card           None

Future System USING WIN95 and LINUX-------------

OS                         WIN95  & LINUX
Controller Card        IDE
HD                         540 Meg              ----  OS   LINUX
HD                         2 GIG                  ----  OS   WIN95
CD  ROM               IDE

2. NFS between Solaris and Linux

3. LILO & win95 & dos & Linux

4. Help: Printer sharing in Linux Red Hat 9.0

5. Win95 + RedHat 4.1 -> Mysterious disappearing CD-ROM: P & P problem?

6. Root Password on T3 Disk Array

7. Win95 CD-R long filenames & mounts in ftp dir

8. Problem with IP FORWARDING

9. AH 2940UW && CD && 2.2

10. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

11. Linux & Win95 = Frozen Win95

12. Linux router supporting Win95&98 workstations - Win95 cannot find other LAN hosts