Where are glibc-2.1.1 binaries?

Post by Christopher Bal » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:12:04

My goal is to upgrade from glibc-2.0.7 to
glibc-2.1.1 (kernel 2.2.6).  The reason for this
goal is so I can
install StarOffice, which demands glibc-2.1.1
(despite what it says in the packaging).  It looks

as if I may need to upgrade my gcc as well.

If I could find the file ending in '.a' (as in
glibc.a; the static version) and the one with "so"

in it (as in glibc.so.2.1; the image), and if that

were indeed all I needed (as it says in the older
books - but maybe things have changed), then I am
good to go I believe for upgrading to glibc2.1.1.
I understand about not copying over my old lib's
(including the X libs) with the new libs (I
upgraded from libc5 to 2.0.7 a year ago).

But I can't for the life of me find these two
files on the ftp sites I've looked at.  Seems like

the old sites now just have old stuff in them.  I
did get the source of glibc2.1.1 from
ftp.debian.org but would need to compile this.  I
am running gcc version 2.7.2.3 on a Pentium II
(Slackware 4.0 with the glibc upgrade to 2.0.7 as
mentioned).

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
gcc version 2.7.2.3

Seems that I don't have the right version of gcc
installed (see output below), so hence my question

about where to find the binaries for the "recent
version of gcc" that the INSTALL file recommends.
I did get the entire source of gcc-2.95.2.  When I

try to build gcc-2.95.2, the HOWTO says that
I have to get the CC environment variable pointing

to a working compiler, but it does not say how to
find the path (I assume the value of the
CC environment variable is a file path) to the
working compiler.

Here is the output from an attempted build of
glibc2.1.1:

dynamic7:/usr/local/lib/glibc-2.1.1/build#
../configure --prefix=/usr/local/lib
--enable-add-ons --host="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
checking sysdep dirs... sysdeps/i386/elf
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux sysdeps/gnu
sysdeps/unix/common sysdeps/unix/mman
sysdeps/unix/inet sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386
sysdeps/unix/sysv sysdeps/unix/i386 sysdeps/unix
sysdeps/posix sysdeps/i386/i686 sysdeps/i386/i486
sysdeps/libm-i387/i686 sysdeps/i386/fpu
sysdeps/libm-i387 sysdeps/i386 sysdeps/wordsize-32

sysdeps/ieee754 sysdeps/libm-ieee754
sysdeps/generic/elf sysdeps/generic
checking for a BSD compatible install...
/usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking version of gcc... 2.7.2.3, bad
checking for make... make
checking version of make... 3.76.1, ok
checking for msgfmt... msgfmt
checking version of msgfmt... 0.10.35, ok
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking version of makeinfo... 1.68, ok
configure: error:
*** Some critical program is missing or too old.
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
dynamic7:/usr/local/lib/glibc-2.1.1/build#

If anyone has any suggestion of how I may do this
in the most simple way possible (although
enjoyable, I do have other things I'd like to do
lately than compile source code for my linux box),

I would be most appreciative and thankful, and you

may call on me for astral blessings.

Thanks in advance,
  Chris Balz.

--

". . . / This Cabinet is formd of Gold / And Pearl & Crystal shining bright
And within it opens into a World / . . .

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:55:05

> [...]

> configure: error:
> *** Some critical program is missing or too old.
> *** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
> dynamic7:/usr/local/lib/glibc-2.1.1/build#

> If anyone has any suggestion of how I may do this
> in the most simple way possible (although
> enjoyable, I do have other things I'd like to do
> lately than compile source code for my linux box),

> I would be most appreciative and thankful, and you

> may call on me for astral blessings.

> Thanks in advance,
>   Chris Balz.

> --

> ". . . / This Cabinet is formd of Gold / And Pearl & Crystal shining bright
> And within it opens into a World / . . .
> Another England there I saw / Another London with its Tower
> Another Thames & other Hills / And another pleasant Surrey Bower
> . . ." - from The Crystal Cabinet, a poem by William Blake.

Hello,

I would suggest getting a new distro, backup the stuff you & your system needs
and
start from scratch, this will save you lots of trouble...

Good luck

Michael Heiming