Yamaha OPL3, A20, HIMEM.SYS, LILO, RH 5.0, Award BIOS

Yamaha OPL3, A20, HIMEM.SYS, LILO, RH 5.0, Award BIOS

Post by Kevin Normoy » Wed, 20 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi. People have been very helpful before, so I'll
try my luck with this one.

I have RH 5.0 i386 installed, with
        Soundblaster 16 (ISA pnp)
        Stealth 3d 2000 pro (PCI)
        network card (dlink) (PCI)
        video capture card (PCI)
        modem (ISA pnp)
        Award BIOS

        LILO is used to boot either linux or win95

Everything works fine. I have isapnp.conf and conf.modules all
setup so sound and modem work fine. (I have isapnp.conf set up
to match the pnp ird/dma/io settings that my bios initially sets for
the modem and SB16)

The problem:
        I wanted to switch to try and use a sound card
        with a yamaha opl3 chipset, which I've used in win95.

        But when I put that card in, and power on, the BIOS apparently
        recognizes the Yamaha card and tries to do some initialization
        (or is it LILO?)..

        It flashes a message that it sees the
        yamaha and the modem on ISA, as opposed to the SB16 and the modem.

        But then it all hangs, after boot:dos or boot:linux
        because it trys to load HIMEM.SYS, and can't
        get to my win95 C: partition. And complains about not being
        able to control A20. It seems like the BIOS or LILO is trying
        to setup extended memory, when it sees my yamaha card.

I didn't try this yamaha card with this particular bios before (it worked
fine with another Acer bios)...so I'm not sure if this is a bios issue,
or a LILO issue.

I'm hoping this will make sense to someone who's run into the same issue.

Installing the yamaha card and drivers for WIN95 in another system,
does make some funny things happen at BIOS initialization
time (on another system) I was never really sure what all it was doing.
(I was using the drivers from the yamaha web site)

-kevin

Yamaha OPL3, A20, HIMEM.SYS, LILO, RH 5.0, Award BIOS

Post by Raki » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Everything works fine. I have isapnp.conf and conf.modules all
> setup so sound and modem work fine. (I have isapnp.conf set up
> to match the pnp ird/dma/io settings that my bios initially sets for
> the modem and SB16)

> The problem:
>    I wanted to switch to try and use a sound card
>    with a yamaha opl3 chipset, which I've used in win95.

>    But when I put that card in, and power on, the BIOS apparently
>    recognizes the Yamaha card and tries to do some initialization
>    (or is it LILO?)..

        isapnp will undo whatever it is that your bios does. I don't know
aobut yours but my PNP bios is a piece of crap. It likes to configure
everything for IRQ 9. I have to use isapnp just to get the video card and
sound card to stop killing each other.

Quote:>    It flashes a message that it sees the
>    yamaha and the modem on ISA, as opposed to the SB16 and the modem.

        According to the docs and my experience, there are very few truly
compatible cards with the sb16.

Quote:>    But then it all hangs, after boot:dos or boot:linux
>         because it trys to load HIMEM.SYS, and can't
>    get to my win95 C: partition. And complains about not being
>    able to control A20. It seems like the BIOS or LILO is trying
>    to setup extended memory, when it sees my yamaha card.

> I didn't try this yamaha card with this particular bios before (it worked
> fine with another Acer bios)...so I'm not sure if this is a bios issue,
> or a LILO issue.

        It shouldn't be a Lilo problem. Lilo is just a boot manager, all
it does is load an operating system. If it does it's job starting the OS
to load, any further problems should be in the OS itself.

        Under linux, the drivers you need are the WSS drivers, NOT the
SB16 drivers. I found this out the hard way. Then, once you have the
drivers compiled, you need to have isapnp configure the card to make it
work with the drivers. I'd reccomend compiling the sound drivers as
modules.... it speeds up your testing time by about a factor of 1000. If
you're lucky, you'll only spend a couple of hours trying to get it to
work. It took me forever (mostly because I'd never messed with isapnp
before). If you need a sample isapnp.conf file to get the sound card
working, let me know and I'll send you mine, along with the .config file I
used to compile my kernel.

        Rakis

1. HIMEM.SYS reports "unreliable memory at 0817c70h" with new Triton MB

The subject line says it.  When booting with my very nice new P5-100
in any game configuration that uses HIMEM.SYS, it reports an
unreliable memory location...always the same one.  I have tried,
unsuccessfully...

        - changing MB to slower speed
        - swapping RAM SIMM's in sockets
        - disabling cache
        - most of the command line options for HIMEM.SYS
        - Norton diagnostics running various configurations for hours

The system appears to run most things but with some intermittent
strange errors.  For example...

        - Windows swap space corrupted 2-3 times in 2 weeks
        - Linux kernel compiles abort with GCC errors, but a retry
          results in successful compile
        - Linux swap space error messages
        - Linux ext2 file system corrupted

The bottom line: I'm stumped.  All ideas accepted.

thanks,

jeff

2. From Inode to Filename

3. Help: Yamaha embedded w/OPL3, 3/SA on RH 5.2

4. Q: dds/3 tape drive on 2nd channel of IBM ServRAID Controller

5. Yamaha OPL3-SAx an RH 5.2

6. lgpl- provide link to source code, or include it?

7. 1662D + New Award BIOS 5.1 = unable to boot lilo

8. NFS server

9. LILO with Award BIOS

10. Lilo Problem w/ Award plug and play bios

11. lilo and award bios

12. SMBFS-2.0.2 on RH 5.0 (was Re: make error on RH 5.0)

13. Compaq 4540 Bios problem w. RH 5.0