Rebilding kernel in Red Hat 4.2

Post by Chris T. Fout » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

All the documentation I have says to do a "make config" from
/usr/lib/linux to rebuild the kernel. I don't have the config file in
this directory. Did I miss something during the installation?

-chris

Rebilding kernel in Red Hat 4.2

Post by Matt » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

--------------AD94D71BB0178FC2B0097723

The directory you want is /usr/src/linux, and you have to have installed
the source.

--
Matt

--------------AD94D71BB0178FC2B0097723

<HTML>
The directory you want is /usr/src/linux, and you have to have installed
the source.
<BR>&nbsp;

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>All the documentation I have says to do a "make config"
from
<BR>/usr/lib/linux to rebuild the kernel. I don't have the config file
in
<BR>this directory. Did I miss something during the installation?

<P>-chris</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Matt</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

Post by Jaso » Mon, 15 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> All the documentation I have says to do a "make config" from
> /usr/lib/linux to rebuild the kernel. I don't have the config file in
> this directory. Did I miss something during the installation?

> -chris

You should do a kernel rebuild from...

/usr/src/linux

use
make menuconfig

then
build the kernel

then use

make dep

make clean
make zImage

then the kernel will be in

/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot

name it what you want and move it to the

/boot

and then...
go to /etc

vi lilo.conf

set a new image link to the new kernel....save ..then

type lilo....

if you need help on the lilo ....
type ..
man lilo at the prompt.....it will pull up the manual page for it...

1. Upgrading Kernel on Red Hat 4.2...

I've been trying to upgrade the kernel on my Red Hat 4.2 system
(2.0.30) by applying the 2.0.31 patch but could not get it to work.

 Is it possible to upgrade Red Hat by applying a patch?  If so how?
Is there a patch.rpm?  Where is it?

Incidentally, I eventually got it working by downloading a complete
kernel!  This means my IP masquerading setup works now!!  Why wouldn't
it work on 2.0.30?

--
Simon Foster
Cheltenham

2. Anyone know about DPT alpha driver?

3. Upgrading kernel on Red Hat 4.2

4. condescension

5. Multiple 3c509 cards with Red Hat 4.2 Kernel 2.0.30

6. Online Disksuite- What is the largest file possible?

7. Compiling kernel on Red Hat 4.2 (newbie question)

8. IBM - Net Slipp Dialup from Linux

9. Recompile Kernel - Bad Data Error (Red Hat 4.2)

10. HELP: Red Hat 4.2 kernel/ethenet problem still persists.

11. Red Hat 4.2 Kernel Panic during install

12. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

13. TX chipset not supported by Red Hat 4.2?