Cable\DSL modems

Post by Georgie Tirebite » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

do these work w/Linux???

Cable\DSL modems

Post by r.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> do these work w/Linux???

YES

--

Home of the ColdBird          (AKA The Penguin's Pond!!)
http://www.coldbird.com                     ICQ# 272853

Cable\DSL modems

Post by N. McNeil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> do these work w/Linux???

Yes, as long as you are assigned a IP
I'm running ADSL, checkout link below.
--
N. McNeill

http://208.61.96.25

The best things in life are free

Cable\DSL modems

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> do these work w/Linux???

Yes, with some caveats:

- A few ISPs have an aversion to Linux and may forbid your using the
  service with a Linux computer.  Usually there's no technical reason for
  this, but tread lightly in such cases.
- You need to know what type of configuration to use, and possibly some
  configuration information.  You need the same information for Windows,
  but configuration instructions may bury it in Windows-centric
  instructions.  Most important:  You need to know whether your ISP uses
  DHCP or a static IP address, and how to configure Linux for either of
  these (neither is a problem).  See next point for an important
  exception.
- The latest craze in DSL setups is something called PPPoE (PPP over
  Ethernet).  This is *VERY* new, and is reportedly a bit flakey even in
  officially-supported OSs (namely Windows).  Linux support is emerging,
  but if you have a choice, I'd recommend you go with a service that
  doesn't use PPPoE, at least at the moment.  Some sales personnel don't
  even seem to know that's what their ISPs are using now, so dig deep on
  this one.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of _Special Edition Using Corel WordPerfect 8 for Linux_, from Que

Cable\DSL modems

Post by Mac1 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> do these work w/Linux???

Of course refer to Ethernet Howto and Net-3 Howto.
I am on cable modem right now remotely logged into my shell at my Univ.
I use IP masquerading to hook up a few boxes and ipchains as a firewall
for packet filtering at home with cable modem.
Same logic goes with dsl.

Cable\DSL modems

Post by Lynn Dimi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Actually my ISP (GTE) uses DHCP and Linux works fine with it. In fact,
I'd love to get a static IP but they don't want me to have one.

>> do these work w/Linux???
>Yes, as long as you are assigned a IP
>I'm running ADSL, checkout link below.
>--
>N. McNeill

>http://208.61.96.25

>The best things in life are free

Remove the nospam from address line to reply via email

Bait for spammers (With credit to E. Needham):

Cable\DSL modems

Post by root » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I have telocity interchange dsl service and like it alot it is sdsl
> (fast both ways) and the only thing I did to get it working with linux
> mandrake was tell it in the install of linux (that i just did today)
> was that I needed to use dhcp....thats it!

it is at http://www.interchangedsl.com/

it does take along time to get it installed though they are slow

Tom

Cable\DSL modems

Post by Michael Vest » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>do these work w/Linux???

My cable modem ISP just supports Windows. So I setup in Windows, wrote down
all the info and installed Linux. Went very well. You can see the end result
at www.edmontoncat.ab.ca

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Red Hat 8.0 Install Questions

3. dsl modem driver for Intel PRO/DSL 2100 Modem??

4. Workman 1.0 & 99pl8 & audio cd = zilch?

5. DSL/Cable modem router vs IP Masquerading

6. Network Help Please....

7. DHCP and DSL/Cable Modem Problems

8. suggestion on a good unix shell book

9. Multiple Cable Modems/DSL on LAN to double bandwidth

10. DSL and cable modems w/ Linux...does this work well?

11. How can I route to a cable modem connection AND a DSL connection?

12. DSL vs Cable modem ---what is difference when connecting to internet?

13. cable modem or dsl