Man! my man doesn't work.

Post by Kaise » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I can't seem to view any man pages - man says it can't find anything I
ask for.  I have two different version slackware installations doing
the same thing.

My environment shows MANPATH set to include /usr/man, along
with several other places.  (BTW, how are env variables changed,
there doesn't seem to be a .cshrc file anywhere?).  In the various
subdirectories under /usr/man are hordes of files (.gz).  I unzipped
one of them (gzip -d man.1.gz) ) to see if that was what was missing,
but the man command still couldn't find man.

Man!

Man! my man doesn't work.

Post by David Sauv » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I had a similar problem (I think); anyways, what I did was reinstall
'troff'(or is it 'groff') using setup and evrything worked out fine.  Hope
this helps.

Quote:> I can't seem to view any man pages - man says it can't find anything I
> ask for.  I have two different version slackware installations doing
> the same thing.

David Sauve

Man! my man doesn't work.

Post by Ralph Jennin » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > I can't seem to view any man pages - man says it can't find anything I
> > ask for.  I have two different version slackware installations doing
> > the same thing.

Double-check $MANPATH environment variable.
 echo $MANPATH

And try this to see if have any man pages:

oifs="$IFS"
IFS=:
for i in $MANPATH; do
  ls -lR $i
done | less
IFS="$oifs"

Hope this helps,
  Ralph.
--
Sometimes,
 you're better off dead.

  -- Pet Shop Boys (West End Girls)

1. man works, man -t doesn't

I'm having problem with man -t.  If I do "man login" I get the man
page for login.  If I do man -t login, to print it, I get "No manual
entry for login"...

I found out with man -dt login, that man seems to set the section
number to "o" instead of 1.  So I tried "man 1 -dt login", but it
returns that it didn't find login in section 1.

Any idea what's happening there?  Thanks!

2. Folding @ Home - distributed computing for Linux

3. man doesn't find /usr/man/cat* entries

4. Program access to shared library information

5. Help: 'man' doesn't work

6. Q: What's the difference between RedHat's and MetroLink's Metro-X?

7. 'man' doesn't work, HELP!

8. Wanted: Solaris user group in NC

9. 'man' doesn't work... help!

10. Why 'man' doesn't work?

11. Man doesn't work or need some work from SLS release !!!

12. `man -k' doesn't work...

13. Man Man more man?