Dumb mgetty question - Will it switch between data and fax automatically?

Dumb mgetty question - Will it switch between data and fax automatically?

Post by Wally Trenhol » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

This is a dumb question.  I have already downloaded the mgetty package and
looked at the policy.h-dist file.  However, with all of the information
infront of me, I cannot find the simple answer to the question,  will this
thing switch between data and fax automattically using a normal (Hayes
Accura) modem without DRD or anything else?

I guess what I really asking is:

1- Do fax modems answer calls for both data and fax in the same way?
(ATs0=1 or ATA)

2- Do fax modems return result codes to indicate weither the incoming call
is a fax or a data call?

3- Does mgetty make use of this information assuming that the modem
provides it?

4- Using mgetty, can I get the incoming modem data line that I use for
normal logins to receive faxes as well, without ANY other hardware?

Thank you so much for your time...

P.S. Please respond by e-mail as well, the newsserver here is very small.

PGP-Fingerprint ----- 2B 53 7D BD B5 56 39 9C  29 A9 16 F5 D7 25 71 96

Post by Timothy Murp » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>This is a dumb question.  I have already downloaded the mgetty package and
>looked at the policy.h-dist file.  However, with all of the information
>infront of me, I cannot find the simple answer to the question,  will this
>thing switch between data and fax automattically using a normal (Hayes
>Accura) modem without DRD or anything else?

Yes, I use mgetty+sendfax with my ZyXEL modem for dialling in,
and sending and receiving faxes.
It always seems to do the right thing!

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

Post by Jonathan Kame » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

|> This is a dumb question.  I have already downloaded the mgetty package and
|> looked at the policy.h-dist file.  However, with all of the information
|> infront of me, I cannot find the simple answer to the question,  will this
|> thing switch between data and fax automattically using a normal (Hayes
|> Accura) modem without DRD or anything else?

Yes.