Wrong Video Driver/X-Windows won't run/How to Re-install?

Wrong Video Driver/X-Windows won't run/How to Re-install?

Post by Matt Vrabli » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I'm your average newbie, I just installed redhat 5.2 for the first time
on a newly built machine.  My video card wasn't listed, I selected a
generic, and obviously it's the wrong one, 'cause xwindows won't start up,
saying it can't identify/communicate with video (not those exact words).  Is
there a way I can get back into the setup from the red hat cd, and
re-configure the video and monitor?  When I try to go back in, it wants to
select a package for 'update'....?  Oh, and I'm using a rather generic AGP
s3 virge card from APAC, I believe model ST300A - should I trade this thing
in?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
-matt

Wrong Video Driver/X-Windows won't run/How to Re-install?

Post by Matt Vrabl » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

oops! Posted a bit soon - used xfree86 setup, and now I have video, but
the resolution is way out of whack (It's displaying a tiny portion of
screen, super-enlarged)...any clues on resolution appreciated.

Post by Jaakko H Ky » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Hi, I'm your average newbie, I just installed redhat 5.2 for the first time
>on a newly built machine.  My video card wasn't listed, I selected a
>generic, and obviously it's the wrong one, 'cause xwindows won't start up,
>saying it can't identify/communicate with video (not those exact words).  Is
>there a way I can get back into the setup from the red hat cd, and
>re-configure the video and monitor?  When I try to go back in, it wants to
>select a package for 'update'....?  Oh, and I'm using a rather generic AGP
>s3 virge card from APAC, I believe model ST300A - should I trade this thing
>in?

>Any advice appreciated. Thanks
>-matt

There is a program called XF86Config, that sets up your X server.

The program is not on the cd. You launch it by typing XF86Config on the
command line as root. If this doesn't work, try typing:

/usr/X11/bin/XF86Config

Jaakko Kyr?, University of Helsinki, Department of Computer Science
Pengerkatu 24 A 3
00500 Helsinki
tel. 040-5960945

Wrong Video Driver/X-Windows won't run/How to Re-install?

Post by Jaakko H Ky » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>oops! Posted a bit soon - used xfree86 setup, and now I have video, but
>the resolution is way out of whack (It's displaying a tiny portion of
>screen, super-enlarged)...any clues on resolution appreciated.

You can switch between different modes by pressing ctrl+alt+keypad-plus and
ctrl+alt+keypad-minus.

For more customization, take a look at the /etc/X11/XF86Config file. There
you can find the modes available at given color depth.

Jaakko Kyr?, University of Helsinki, Department of Computer Science
Pengerkatu 24 A 3
00500 Helsinki
tel. 040-5960945

1. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

Hi,
    I am trying to get X-Windows setup with an unknown
type of Cirrus Logic "SIIG" ISA graphics card. I only seem to get
some response when I set it up with Xconfigurator in 8-bit mode.
I am using Redhat 6.1 and KDE. The KDE desktop comes up
after a while. When I click on the Xterm icon, there is a delay,
the Xterm window comes up and just as it comes up, X-Windows
drops back to the Linux shell. There is a message:

QImage::color:Index out of range.

  What does this mean and how can I correct the problem.
   Is there any way that I can find out exactly what model
   of card that I have. There is a model number, but it does
   not look like anything related to what is in the Xconfigurator
   list nor on the SIIG site. The model is MVGA-AVGA3.
   I have a dual boot system and the card works with the Linux
   shell and Win95C with a resolution of 1024x768 and 16 bit
   hicolor.
                                                    Thanks
                                                                Mike

2. X start at boot up

3. x-windows won't run programs

4. Linux kernel patch question...

5. Modem won't pick-up when X-Windows is running

6. Professional Audio Editor for Linux?

7. x-windows can't run or install properly!!

8. FTP script?

9. THINKPAD 770X REDHAT6.0 USING X-WINDOWS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO THINKPAD 770X

10. Gnome - won't work or re-install

11. Solaris 7 won't re-install after Linux

12. Can't Unload Driver Without Re-install??