Win2k and RedHat 7.2 on different hard-drive dual-boot with LILO??

Win2k and RedHat 7.2 on different hard-drive dual-boot with LILO??

Post by ^____ » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 05:45:39

Hi, I am trying to install Win2000 and RedHat Linux 7.2 on two different
hard drives so in the future when I don't want one of them I can just simply
format one hard drive. Both of my hard drives are IDE. At first I installed
Win2000 on Primary master(hda), then I install Linux on hdb. I choose to
install LILO on MBR and default boot is hdb(linux). But after install Linux,
I reboot the computer, only Win2000 come up, LILO didn't even show up. I am
wondering if LILO was installed to the MBR of hdb instead of hda. How can I
fix that so I can use LILO to dual-boot both operating system? Or if I need
to reinstall, what settings do I need to change to make it right? If LILO
couldn't pull a job like this, then which boot-manager can? BootMagic??

Thanx...

Post by none » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:18:36

> Hi, I am trying to install Win2000 and RedHat Linux 7.2 on two different
> hard drives so in the future when I don't want one of them I can just
> simply format one hard drive. Both of my hard drives are IDE. At first I
> installed Win2000 on Primary master(hda), then I install Linux on hdb. I
> choose to install LILO on MBR and default boot is hdb(linux). But after
> install Linux, I reboot the computer, only Win2000 come up, LILO didn't
> even show up. I am wondering if LILO was installed to the MBR of hdb
> instead of hda. How can I fix that so I can use LILO to dual-boot both
> operating system? Or if I need to reinstall, what settings do I need to
> change to make it right? If LILO couldn't pull a job like this, then
> which boot-manager can? BootMagic??

> Thanx...

You asessment it correct. It sounds like lilo ended up installed in the
MBR on hdb. However you probably boot from hda. You need to edit /etc/lilo.conf
and change the locaton. Then re run lilo.

Post by Rodney Bake » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:39:18

> Hi, I am trying to install Win2000 and RedHat Linux 7.2 on two different
> hard drives so in the future when I don't want one of them I can just simply
> format one hard drive. Both of my hard drives are IDE. At first I installed
> Win2000 on Primary master(hda), then I install Linux on hdb. I choose to
> install LILO on MBR and default boot is hdb(linux). But after install Linux,
> I reboot the computer, only Win2000 come up, LILO didn't even show up. I am
> wondering if LILO was installed to the MBR of hdb instead of hda. How can I
> fix that so I can use LILO to dual-boot both operating system? Or if I need
> to reinstall, what settings do I need to change to make it right? If LILO
> couldn't pull a job like this, then which boot-manager can? BootMagic??

> Thanx...

KBootManager (kBm) is a very small, neat bootloader which installs in the MBR
and can boot any OS off any disk (including an option to boot off a floppy,
even if you have the floppy disabled in the bios boot sequence). It's setup
interface is similar to Linux fdisk and it has binaries for WinNT/2k, OS/2 and
DOS.

Not sure where to download it but if you email me direct I will send it to you
- it's only small (~1MB).

Cheers,
Rodney.

Win2k and RedHat 7.2 on different hard-drive dual-boot with LILO??

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 02:16:02

Quote:> Hi, I am trying to install Win2000 and RedHat Linux 7.2 on two different
> hard drives so in the future when I don't want one of them I can just
simply
> format one hard drive. Both of my hard drives are IDE. At first I
installed
> Win2000 on Primary master(hda), then I install Linux on hdb. I choose to
> install LILO on MBR and default boot is hdb(linux). But after install
Linux,
> I reboot the computer, only Win2000 come up, LILO didn't even show up. I
am
> wondering if LILO was installed to the MBR of hdb instead of hda. How can
> fix that so I can use LILO to dual-boot both operating system? Or if I
need
> to reinstall, what settings do I need to change to make it right? If LILO
> couldn't pull a job like this, then which boot-manager can? BootMagic??

> Thanx...

    1: Use grub instead.
    2: Make *sure* lilo installed to /dev/hda.
    3: Double check that your boot tools haven't done the "renumber IDE
drives so the boot drive is /dev/hda" trick. You should be able to use the
install CD to run "linux rescue" mode and edit lilo.conf and /etc/fstab: you
may need to use the "bios" options to ensure that /dev/hda gets loaded as
/dev/hda, etc.

Post by eyal ga » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 01:24:23

>>Hi, I am trying to install Win2000 and RedHat Linux 7.2 on two different
>>hard drives so in the future when I don't want one of them I can just

> simply

>>format one hard drive. Both of my hard drives are IDE. At first I

> installed

>>Win2000 on Primary master(hda), then I install Linux on hdb. I choose to
>>install LILO on MBR and default boot is hdb(linux). But after install

> Linux,

>>I reboot the computer, only Win2000 come up, LILO didn't even show up. I

> am

>>wondering if LILO was installed to the MBR of hdb instead of hda. How can

>>fix that so I can use LILO to dual-boot both operating system? Or if I

> need

>>to reinstall, what settings do I need to change to make it right? If LILO
>>couldn't pull a job like this, then which boot-manager can? BootMagic??

>>Thanx...

>     1: Use grub instead.
>     2: Make *sure* lilo installed to /dev/hda.
>     3: Double check that your boot tools haven't done the "renumber IDE
> drives so the boot drive is /dev/hda" trick. You should be able to use the
> install CD to run "linux rescue" mode and edit lilo.conf and /etc/fstab: you
> may need to use the "bios" options to ensure that /dev/hda gets loaded as
> /dev/hda, etc.

NOTE:The lilo bios option works onely on small hd that needs biso to
setup them. 20GB and up don't support that thing... (unless your bios
fully supports your hd.)

1. Dual Redhat/Win2k, using LILO, how to delete Win2k?

I have a dual booting Redhat/Windows 2000 system. I am ready to ditch Win2k.

How do I do it?

My guess,

1) Make a linux boot disk just in case.
2) Remove Win2k from LILO (how?)
3) Use fdisk to delete the win2k partition
4) Use mkfs to build a new ext2 file system (how?)
5) Mount it in /etc/fstab

Is this correct?

2. Error message - beginner's question

3. PC164 + IDE Hard Drive + Redhat 7.2...How do I boot?

4. NAT PIPE problem

5. Dual Boot Win2k + Mandrake 7.2 on a ThinkPad T20

6. Free sco- no boot

7. Can SUSE 7.2 be installed from a local hard drive to a local hard drive

8. help with a Pana. CR-563: I'm very new to LInux

9. lilo configuration - redhat 7.2 and win2k

10. RedHat + Win2k(NTFS) dual-boot??

11. Lilo dual boot off of 2nd hard drive

12. Redhat 8.0 dual boot with Win2k/Windows boots way to slow.

13. cannot boot RH7 on Win2K dual-boot setup