Making A New Boot Disk \ Updated kernel

Post by Chris Baron » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I use a boot disk for starting Linux and can't figure out how to make
a new one that can see the updated kernel. All the how to's assume you
are using LiLo. I followed all the instructions, but after RAM disk,
they don't apply. My lilo.conf file only has what I type at the boot:
prompt, so editing it isn't possible. Thanks to all - Chris

Making A New Boot Disk \ Updated kernel

Post by Kheng-Teong Go » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

After you update your new kernel configuration.
do all of this.

make dep
make clean
make modules
make modules_install
make bzImage
make bzdisk
make bzlilo

Before you make bzdisk. Insert the floppy that you want to use as
bootdisk into the floppy drive.

for more details read Kernel-Howto, Modules-Howto and even
Bootdisk-Howto.

BR,

Kheng Teong.

> I use a boot disk for starting Linux and can't figure out how to make
> a new one that can see the updated kernel. All the how to's assume you
> are using LiLo. I followed all the instructions, but after RAM disk,
> they don't apply. My lilo.conf file only has what I type at the boot:
> prompt, so editing it isn't possible. Thanks to all - Chris

Making A New Boot Disk \ Updated kernel

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I use a boot disk for starting Linux and can't figure out how to make
> a new one that can see the updated kernel. All the how to's assume you
> are using LiLo. I followed all the instructions, but after RAM disk,
> they don't apply. My lilo.conf file only has what I type at the boot:
> prompt, so editing it isn't possible. Thanks to all - Chris

dd if=<kernel image> of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

This copies your kernel image directly onto the floppy, which then can
act as a linux boot disk.

Making A New Boot Disk \ Updated kernel

Post by Kheng-Teong Go » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I use a boot disk for starting Linux and can't figure out how to make
> > a new one that can see the updated kernel. All the how to's assume you
> > are using LiLo. I followed all the instructions, but after RAM disk,
> > they don't apply. My lilo.conf file only has what I type at the boot:
> > prompt, so editing it isn't possible. Thanks to all - Chris

> dd if=<kernel image> of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

there's a possiblity that the kernel wll be bigger then 512 kbyte.
Quote:

> This copies your kernel image directly onto the floppy, which then can
> act as a linux boot disk.

  gk7eong.vcf
< 1K Download

Making A New Boot Disk \ Updated kernel

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> > dd if=<kernel image> of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

> there's a possiblity that the kernel wll be bigger then 512 kbyte.

512 is only the block size.  If the kernel image is less than 1440 Kb
it'll fit on the disk.  My latest kernel is about 450 Kb.

1. Updating a live file sys boot disk with new kernel & lilo

I was trying to update a "live" file sys boot disk with a new kernel,
which I assume means you have to Lilo it before it will work. I copied
the vmlinux kenrel to the diskette, and tried Lilo a number of different
ways trying to get it to write to the diskette, but appparently failed.
It did however write to my hard disk, and trashed the the MBR. I got as
far as "LIL-". I booted a DOS disk and ran FDISK /MBR to restore the DOS
boot.

Now the question is: How do I reinstall Lilo into the MBR correctly?

My big problem is that I have no reliable boot floppy. The earlier ones
all have trouble recognizing my TMC850 SCSI controller on the sound
card, and lock up 99.9% of the time. The newer prebuilt ones won't
autodetect it it and furthermore ignore the Lilo line I usually use
"tmc8xx=0xde000,12" when I booted from the HD. They stop with a kernel
panic "can't mount root".

Any ideas?

Next question: Once I've fixed the previous question, how do I correctly
update the kernel on a live boot floppy?

I've read the Linux Bible and FAQ's I could find, but did not see a
solution.

Any help apreciated!

2. PCMCIA 3c562: Do drivers exist?

3. About to update RH5.2 kernel, howto update my boot disk?

4. I'M READY TO GIVE UP NETWORKING EFFORT

5. made new boot disk - how do I install from InfoMagic CDROMs?

6. Windowing Korn Shell (wksh) source

7. Making new boot disks...

8. Is ppp dial on demand and PPPOE avaiable?

9. Making new RH5 boot disk for installation

10. Making new boot disk

11. New kernel making my install disks read only???????

12. Making a Boot Disk for RedHat 6.1 with my kernel

13. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.