How to Apply Kernel Patch to RH 5.1

Post by james w. beaucham » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have just installed the RH 5.1 and would now like to apply the kernel
patches that are available.  The file at the Red Hat site is 1.9Meg in
size.  My linux box is not connected to my network or to the internet.  How
do I get this file from my win95 machine to my linux machine?  Does gunzip
allow you to span across two floppies???

Thanks in advance.

How to Apply Kernel Patch to RH 5.1

Post by James Youngm » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have just installed the RH 5.1 and would now like to apply the kernel
> patches that are available.  The file at the Red Hat site is 1.9Meg in
> size.  My linux box is not connected to my network or to the internet.  How
> do I get this file from my win95 machine to my linux machine?  Does gunzip
> allow you to span across two floppies???

Use pkzip on the Windows machine.  On the Linux box just stick the
files together with cat ( cat file1.zip file2.zip > bigfile.zip ) and
feed the result to unzip.

--

1. RH 5.1 Kernel Patch for AW35 Sound Card

I'm trying to get Linux to use my AW35 sound card. Have read some
DejaNews articles about the CS4232 chipset, etc. Think I have the
isapnp.conf OK. But isapnp < isapnp.conf produced no results. Further
searching lead me to ftp.redhat.com/pub/sound, to download a patch for
kernel modules for various soundcards. Bravely, I set out to patch /
rebuild the kernel (first time, old RSX hacker, not used to
"non-commercial" wares). patch -p1 --dry-run < 2_0_34-modular-1_patch
produced a handful of failed hunks before segment faulting.

I have many questions. Am happy to read whatever references you can
point me to. I would like to know how to resolve failed hunks. Also, I
actually wasn't sure what to download from RedHat's ftp site. Maybe I
have the wrong patch? I have 2_0_34-modular-1_patch.gz. A good
patch-HOWTO would be helpful, I think. Then, I will need a copy of patch
which doesn't coredump. Probably can build that (not a c hacker however
- assume a good distribution will save me).

My configuration is:
  kernel 2.0.34 #1 RedHat 5.1
  patch 2.5
  pentium 133 - homebuilt
  32Mb RAM
  Triton VFX chipset

Maybe there's a production kernel with the sound modules already there?
Understand odd numbers, e.g. 2.1.xx are experimental, haven't seen a
2.2.

Please help. Unlike other posters, I'm commited to never having Win98.
As soon as Corel releases PhotoPaint for linux, or I get really good at
gimp, I'll be Micro$oft free! Well, I have to get along with my office -
MSWord :-(

TIA,
jed

2. Getting on the internet

3. Diald Compile Problem Under RH 5.1 w/updates applied.

4. Lilith Banshee 16MB AGP XF86 ?

5. RH 5.1 -> kernel 2.1.122 , kernel panic

6. SO.CA: Sr.SW Engineer / www

7. RH 5.1: problem with "-d" option of "patch"?

8. ESS Solo-1 Audio Supported in Linux?

9. Year 2000 patch: to apply or not to apply?

10. Patching tru64 5.1/trucluster 5.1

11. How to use egcs to compile kernel on RH 5.1?

12. RH Kernel w/5.1 PPP-built in?

13. Building Kernel on RH 5.1 Sparc