Sending jobs running to the background (running) e.g. ftp

Sending jobs running to the background (running) e.g. ftp

Post by Yavi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have forgotten which key is used to push a job (like a ftp session) active
to the background. When I do a ctrl-z it stops the job and gives me prompt.
I want to jump from my active app to a CLI and then back... thanx

--Scott

Post by Robert Herzo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have forgotten which key is used to push a job (like a ftp session) active
> to the background. When I do a ctrl-z it stops the job and gives me prompt.
> I want to jump from my active app to a CLI and then back... thanx

> --Scott

try "ctrl-z" followed by "bg" (for background)
is similar to any-command&

Sending jobs running to the background (running) e.g. ftp

Post by Steve Fin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

ctrl-z
bg ( for background)

Quote:

> I have forgotten which key is used to push a job (like a ftp session)
active
> to the background. When I do a ctrl-z it stops the job and gives me
prompt.
> I want to jump from my active app to a CLI and then back... thanx

> --Scott

1. Numeric Variables used in Shell Script run as Background Job

ADDENDUM:

Earlier I posted a request concerning the use of numeric variables in a shell script (the full text of which follows this addendum).

I've received a few responses already and I want it to be known that the very first line of my shell script contains:

#!/bin/ksh -v

This forces the shell script to execute as a korn shell. The responses I've received suggested I do this but I mistakenly forgot to mention the above line is in my original script and again it forces the script to run from the korn shell.

Please keep those suggestions and ideas coming!

(Below is the full text of my original request:)

Numeric variables and shell script keywords do not seem to be working properly when my shell script is run as a background job.

For Example: I have the following lines in my shell script:

set -vx
set `date`
typeset -i  X1 X
integer CENTURY_YEAR
((X1=23)); export X1
((X=$3)); export X
((CENTURY_YEAR=$6 0)); export CENTURY_YEAR
echo "X1 = " $X1
echo "X = " $X
echo "CENTURY_YEAR = " $CENTURY_YEAR

When I run this script as a background job (as an: at job), my stdout file is:
X1 =
X =
CENTURY_YEAR =

And my stderr file (since I'm using the set -vx debugging command) contains lines like:
typeset: not found
integer: not found

Now, when I run this script as a foreground command, everything is ok, my stdout file is:
X1 = 23
X = 07
CENTURY_YEAR = 97

And my stderr file looks fine, it doesn't contain any '...not found' lines.

What gives??? Also I get the exact same result whether I run the script on a UNIX System V Release 3.2 or on a UnixWare machine.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

--

Posted using Reference.COM                         http://www.reference.com

Sift, Inc. accepts no responsibility for the content of this posting.

2. Strange harddrive sound

3. running rsh background job

4. TRANTOR SCSI HOST ADAPTER

5. how to make an application run as a background job after execution

6. Questions without answers

7. ksh: run function as background job

8. send() and int flag

9. Problem running remote background jobs with rsh

10. Problem about bringing last running background job To Foreground

11. Getting jobs to run in background?

12. Numeric Variables used in Shell Scripts Running as Background Jobs

13. How to let background job continues to run after logout?