RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase

RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase

Post by Jon Lee » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

    I'm currently running RH 5.0 on a Gateway 9100XL laptop (Pentium II,
CardBus PCMCIA), installed from CD and later upgraded to the 2.0.32 kernel
RPM from RedHat and using the pcmcia-cs-3.0.1 package. This works fine.

    Attempts to upgrade to RH 5.1 are failing during pre-install: booting
from the 5.1 boot floppy image comes up as far as asking for the keyboard
type, then dies with:

        Cirrus PD6729 found, 2 sockets
        sending termination signals...done
        sending kill signals...
        unmounting filesystems.../proc
        Rebooting system

    My only guess is that the kernel on the boot disk can't handle the
PCMCIA setup. Where can I go from here? Is it possible to pass boot
parameters that will disable PCMCIA, for example? I can of course buy one of
the 5.1 CDs, but since I've already got all the RPMs installed on the
laptop's disk, would rather not wait.

    Thanks,
    Jon Leech
    Silicon Graphics

RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase

Post by Bob Green » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I've got the same problem with a boxed set of 5.1 from RedHat.  I've entered
a ticket at their site and I'll post a follow up if they respond.

>    I'm currently running RH 5.0 on a Gateway 9100XL laptop (Pentium II,
>CardBus PCMCIA), installed from CD and later upgraded to the 2.0.32 kernel
>RPM from RedHat and using the pcmcia-cs-3.0.1 package. This works fine.

>    Attempts to upgrade to RH 5.1 are failing during pre-install: booting
>from the 5.1 boot floppy image comes up as far as asking for the keyboard
>type, then dies with:

> Cirrus PD6729 found, 2 sockets
> sending termination signals...done
> sending kill signals...
> unmounting filesystems.../proc
> Rebooting system

>    My only guess is that the kernel on the boot disk can't handle the
>PCMCIA setup. Where can I go from here? Is it possible to pass boot
>parameters that will disable PCMCIA, for example? I can of course buy one
of
>the 5.1 CDs, but since I've already got all the RPMs installed on the
>laptop's disk, would rather not wait.

>    Thanks,
>    Jon Leech
>    Silicon Graphics

RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase

Post by Shang Xi » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I had the similar problem with the installation. Later I found out that
whenever I used "pagedown" key to make choices, the computer reboots.
I then only used arrow keys to make choices, everything was installed fine.
Did you used the "pagedown" key to choose the keyboard type? Try to avoid using
"pageup" or "pagedown" key. Hope this helps.

|> I've got the same problem with a boxed set of 5.1 from RedHat.  I've entered
|> a ticket at their site and I'll post a follow up if they respond.
|>
|> >    I'm currently running RH 5.0 on a Gateway 9100XL laptop (Pentium II,
|> >CardBus PCMCIA), installed from CD and later upgraded to the 2.0.32 kernel
|> >RPM from RedHat and using the pcmcia-cs-3.0.1 package. This works fine.
|> >
|> >    Attempts to upgrade to RH 5.1 are failing during pre-install: booting
|> >from the 5.1 boot floppy image comes up as far as asking for the keyboard
|> >type, then dies with:
|> >
|> > Cirrus PD6729 found, 2 sockets
|> > sending termination signals...done
|> > sending kill signals...
|> > unmounting filesystems.../proc
|> > Rebooting system
|> >
|> >    My only guess is that the kernel on the boot disk can't handle the
|> >PCMCIA setup. Where can I go from here? Is it possible to pass boot
|> >parameters that will disable PCMCIA, for example? I can of course buy one
|> of
|> >the 5.1 CDs, but since I've already got all the RPMs installed on the
|> >laptop's disk, would rather not wait.
|> >
|> >    Thanks,
|> >    Jon Leech
|> >    Silicon Graphics

RedHat 5.1 upgrade fails - reboots during pre-install phase

Post by Doug Jacob » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm having the same problem (in fact, I posted about this over in
the linux hardware group.)

I'm not hitting any keys on the keyboard other than <tab> and <spacebar>.

I still get it.

Most annoying.  Perhaps an incompatibility with this particular Cirrus Logic
chipset?

In a previous life, I used to do network testing with laptops.  Cirrus Logic
caused *major* headaches for everyone.

> I had the similar problem with the installation. Later I found out that
> whenever I used "pagedown" key to make choices, the computer reboots.
> I then only used arrow keys to make choices, everything was installed fine.
> Did you used the "pagedown" key to choose the keyboard type? Try to avoid using
> "pageup" or "pagedown" key. Hope this helps.

> |> I've got the same problem with a boxed set of 5.1 from RedHat.  I've entered
> |> a ticket at their site and I'll post a follow up if they respond.

> |> of

1. problem installing redhat 5.1 - error in script (RPM) reported during install

I have a problem installing redhat 5.1 (i386 architecture):

During the install, some RPM packages report an error in script and are
not installed. This includes important stuff like timezoneconfig and tar.
Some install without problems but most give me 'error in script'.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Regards

Clyde

http://www.maltanetworkresources.com -- Maltese Search engine/directory
http://warping.to -- Free URL redirection

2. HELP: cuseeme

3. Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...

4. S.M.A.R.T. support ?

5. Error signal 2 during install on RedHat 5.1

6. Network card configuration?

7. Redhat 5.1 crashes during install

8. Multiport Boards

9. SCSI problem during install, Redhat Linux 5.1

10. HELP - RedHat 5.1 hangs up during install

11. CANT MAKE BOOT DISK DURING INSTALL IN REDHAT 5.1

12. help installing Redhat 5.1 on an Echos Pro 150X (stop with Cirrus PD6729 & reboots)

13. Redhat 5.1 -- "Error 2 reading header: Success install exited abnormally...reboot."