sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'

Post by Luis Garrid » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

My hw is i386SX 25MHz, 4MB RAM, VGA, 40MB Linux Native, 10MB Linux Swap,

SoundBlaster with CD 2x, WD 80x3 Ethercard.

I install Slackware96 with "sbpcd" bootdisk and "color" rootdisk.

I just install A series disks (default options). Since I have just

4MegRAM, I must activate swapping manually before setup. Sbpcd kernel

recognizes my Slackware CD. So far so good.

After installation (no problem), I restart my machine, login as root and

try to execute (before anything) the command:

man man

And I get this errors:

sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5.3.12'

sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'

fgets: No such file or directory

Error reading man page /usr/man/man1/man1.gz

No manual entry for man

These also happen when I try to run 'setup' again, or any program such

'less'. If I do 'ls' before one of these errors, it works fine, but

after them it crashes too. Seems that executing a medium sized program

crashes my system, but I don't understand why I can run 'setup' booting

from installation disks under the same conditions, and I can't boot from

the same kernel installed in my hard disk.

Sure! Both libraries do indeed exist under /lib and libc.so.5 is a link

to libc.so.5.3.12... 'setup' takes care or it.

What's more, I have the same distribution working fine in a Pentium 120,

16MB RAM, 300MB Linux Native, 32MB Linux Swap, ATAPI CD.

i386's hard disk (QUANTUM LP52 A 950 509 105, 49MB w/64kB Cache,

CHS=751/8/17) seems not to have badblocks.

With all these data... What the hell is messing me?

Thank you for your answers, please reply by e-mail if possible.

[...]

1. sh: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'

I am running doslinux on a laptop.  I downloaded and installed Xfree3.3,
but everytime I try to startx, I get the error "sh: can't map
/lib/libc.so.5" three times and then "sh: can't load library libc.so.5".  I
was having mouse trouble (ps2 not in the kernel I guess), but once that was
remedied this is the message I get.    I have libc.so.5.4.36 i think,
linked to libc.so.5, and it is where it should be, in /lib, but still the
messages.  Any ideas?

Please excuse repeat posts.  My news has grown increasingly unreliable, so
I have to hit send two or three times to actually send.

2. UPS

3. can't map '/lib/libc.so.5.3.12' --> trouble?

4. Asus CUV4X-D linux issue

5. can't map '/lib/libc.so.5', yada yada yada

6. AIX 3.1 RPC Messages

7. can't map '/lib/libc.so.5.3.12'

8. su from pty?

9. can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'

10. can't map '/lib/libc.so.5.3.12'

11. can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'???

12. HELP: Telnet can't map '/lib/libc.so.5' error message...

13. startx error: can't map '/lib/libc.so.5'