My xconsole doesn't do anything.

Post by Michael Champag » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I was wondering why I never get anything displayed in my xconsole?
I'm running kernel 2.0.27, RedHat 4.1, and I've installed WindowMaker.
Also, I'm logging into my system using XDM.

I expected to be able to see X startup messages, talk requests, and
definitely the window info that WindowMaker is supposed to give when
you double right click a title bar.  I don't see anything unless I do
something like "echo blahblahblah > /dev/console", so it seems to be
reading the console fine, it's just that nothing ever gets sent to it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Champagne

Post by Bill Mccart » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I was wondering why I never get anything displayed in my xconsole?
> I'm running kernel 2.0.27, RedHat 4.1, and I've installed WindowMaker.
> Also, I'm logging into my system using XDM.

> I expected to be able to see X startup messages, talk requests, and
> definitely the window info that WindowMaker is supposed to give when
> you double right click a title bar.  I don't see anything unless I do
> something like "echo blahblahblah > /dev/console", so it seems to be
> reading the console fine, it's just that nothing ever gets sent to it?

> Any help is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Michael Champagne

Try startx &>/dev/console. Works for me.
--

L I N U \/
        /\

Post by Rob Kom » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: > I was wondering why I never get anything displayed in my xconsole?
: > I'm running kernel 2.0.27, RedHat 4.1, and I've installed WindowMaker.
: > Also, I'm logging into my system using XDM.
: >
: > I expected to be able to see X startup messages, talk requests, and
: > definitely the window info that WindowMaker is supposed to give when
: > you double right click a title bar.  I don't see anything unless I do
: > something like "echo blahblahblah > /dev/console", so it seems to be
: > reading the console fine, it's just that nothing ever gets sent to it?
: >
: > Any help is greatly appreciated.
: >
: Try startx &>/dev/console. Works for me.
: --

that's fine for messages from the X server.  To get general system
stuff, look at the man pages for `sysklogd' and `syslog.conf' (on
Slackware systems, anyway; it's probably similar on RedHat systems).

Cheers,
Rob Komar

My xconsole doesn't do anything.

Post by Giovanni Bortoloz » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I was wondering why I never get anything displayed in my xconsole?
>I'm running kernel 2.0.27, RedHat 4.1, and I've installed WindowMaker.
>Also, I'm logging into my system using XDM.

>I expected to be able to see X startup messages, talk requests, and
>definitely the window info that WindowMaker is supposed to give when
>you double right click a title bar.  I don't see anything unless I do
>something like "echo blahblahblah > /dev/console", so it seems to be
>reading the console fine, it's just that nothing ever gets sent to it?

>Any help is greatly appreciated.

In my /etc/syslog.conf I found this tip (Debian):
# The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the `xconsole' utility.  To use it,
# you must invoke `xconsole' with the `-file' option:
#
#    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
daemon.*;mail.*;news.crit;news.err;news.notice;*.=debug;*.=info; \
*.=notice;*.=warn;cron.none     |/dev/xconsole

Then I start Xfree with (bash):
alias ow='echo "Starting XFree86..." >| /dev/xconsole;startx -- -quiet -bpp \
16 2>|/dev/xconsole'

It's work great for me...i see why a program die and any message it send.

                Bye
                        Giovanni

--

Information is not Knowledge, Knowledge is not Wisdom, Wisdom is not Truth,
Truth is not Beauty, Beauty is not Love, Love is not Music, Music is the best.

1. My xconsole doesn't do anything.

[...]

2. KDE editors problem

3. xconsole doesn't print anything.

4. asm/uaccess.h

5. My xconsole doesn't do anything.

6. Win Proxy 2.0

7. 'Lock screen' doesn't do anything

8. native threads in linux???

9. cmdtool -C, xconsole: redirection doesn't work

10. XCONSOLE doesn't work??!!

11. xconsole doesn't have effect ???

12. No Imake.tmpl file, xconsole doesn't work

13. xconsole doesn't work