please, no flames, I am just saying what worked for me.
I went from Caldera 1.3 and Idiots Guide Book (steep learning curve there),
to Caldera 2.2 and Using Caldera Open Linux 2.2 and then a Cheapbytes 2.3
Caldera disk. System was working the way I wanted it to. I was having fun
with a dual boot that saw less and less of Windows, days without. Months
I lent my computer to mom for two months as I moved up to Canada, I unhooked
hdb so she would not have to be dual booting, let Doze98 overwrite the mbr,
but hey, I got a floppy with LILO.
Upon bringing computer back, and reinstalling hdb, I kept running into the
li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 due to a probable geometry mismatch. fdisked
mbr, reinstalled, yanked out sound and network cards, disabled com irq's,
Tried with Caldera 2.3, 2.2, phat linux which is an older mandrake that will
run in fat32, swapped drives back and forth between primary and secondary
(made sure jumpers were correct on hdd's) nothing works. I keep getting li
and then a cascade of 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 sweeping down the screen.
I was going to try nuni - finally I pulled out an old FreeBSD 3.2 cd-rom
that I had played with on a 486 - it went on sweet as silk. Dual booted
Downloaded boot floppy disks of FreeBSD 3.4 and proceeded to ftp /bin and
/doc from a mirror. This is on a cable modem mind you, I was not expecting
to be able to do that. My CD-rom for 3.4 came the next day and I finished
it up. I don't have mail working yet, but lynx is working quite well as is
I intend to reinstall Linux one day in the future. I have a new Mandrake to
try out. But it is going to share a swap file with FreeBSD and use the
Shalom, Mark Rogness