Configure Apache w/dhcp client

Configure Apache w/dhcp client

Post by Brian Keene » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



I am not sure exactly what I need to do or where to look.  Any pointers
would be greatly appreciated.

I have my laptop running Linux RH6.0 configured with a fixed IP address
and I can run Apache and it seems to function properly and netscape has
access to my html files.  I have my pcmcia Network interface configured
so it is using scheme and have my lilo configured so I can select either
my home connection which uses a fixed IP or a work connection for use at
one of my clients which uses the DHCP client.

I have tested the DHCP client and it is working properly, but it seems
that if I remove the fixed ip pointing to host linuxnote from /etc/hosts
then apache fails to start because I believe it cannot find the hostname
- or at least it say it cannot find the host and to use servername to
set.  At any rate what I am trying to find out is what configuration
changes and/or how do I accomplish having apache work at home on a fixed
IP address and also have it work at my clients when I am using my
notebook as a DHCP client.

Any pointer and/or references to HOW-Tos will be greatly appreciated.

Brian

 
 
 

Configure Apache w/dhcp client

Post by Scott Hunte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Sounds like you should look into setting up a custom runlevel for either
work of home.  That way you can simply init 4 for work and init 3 for home.

> I am not sure exactly what I need to do or where to look.  Any pointers
> would be greatly appreciated.

> I have my laptop running Linux RH6.0 configured with a fixed IP address
> and I can run Apache and it seems to function properly and netscape has
> access to my html files.  I have my pcmcia Network interface configured
> so it is using scheme and have my lilo configured so I can select either
> my home connection which uses a fixed IP or a work connection for use at
> one of my clients which uses the DHCP client.

> I have tested the DHCP client and it is working properly, but it seems
> that if I remove the fixed ip pointing to host linuxnote from /etc/hosts
> then apache fails to start because I believe it cannot find the hostname
> - or at least it say it cannot find the host and to use servername to
> set.  At any rate what I am trying to find out is what configuration
> changes and/or how do I accomplish having apache work at home on a fixed
> IP address and also have it work at my clients when I am using my
> notebook as a DHCP client.

> Any pointer and/or references to HOW-Tos will be greatly appreciated.

> Brian


 
 
 

Configure Apache w/dhcp client

Post by Brian Keene » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Great idea, BUT schemes work exceptionally well on the Network interface
and different run levels still doesn't give me any clue how Apache is
supposed to know the server name and/or IP address it needs for the host
it is running on if the host is a DHCP Client which is getting its IP
address from an NT DHCP server.

Brian

 
 
 

Configure Apache w/dhcp client

Post by Brian Keene » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


To all,

I believe I have this resolved.  Hacked the network.opts file so that I
can rebuild the /etc/hosts file based on whether I booted up as a fixed
IP or a dhcp client and send the hostname and appropriate IP address to
the /etc/hosts file.  I think this may resolve the issue with apache and
smb (another message thread).  At least it will as long as their not
storing the incorrect IP address somewhere that was in place before the
dhcp client gets the new IP address.

Brian

 
 
 

Configure Apache w/dhcp client

Post by Eric Loui » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Can you provide me the details on how  you did  this?  I need the info,
because I'm about to install RH5.1 on my machine, and my IP service is DHCP
from my ISP.

thanks...

-e-


> To all,

> I believe I have this resolved.  Hacked the network.opts file so that I
> can rebuild the /etc/hosts file based on whether I booted up as a fixed
> IP or a dhcp client and send the hostname and appropriate IP address to
> the /etc/hosts file.  I think this may resolve the issue with apache and
> smb (another message thread).  At least it will as long as their not
> storing the incorrect IP address somewhere that was in place before the
> dhcp client gets the new IP address.

> Brian

 
 
 

Configure Apache w/dhcp client

Post by Brian Keene » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Can you provide me the details on how  you did  this?  I need the info,
> because I'm about to install RH5.1 on my machine, and my IP service is
DHCP
> from my ISP.

Eric,
Sorry it took me so long to respond - I was detained the first of the
week with a family medical emergency.

First off - not to question and/or doubt you, but are you sure you need
DHCP for this.  In my case I set this up via PPP, but I am using a Dial
Up ISP connection.  If this is what you are looking for I basically
looked for a Text Document call PPP-HOWTO.txt (I think??) in the /usr/doc
directory. Or make sure your CDROM is mounted and do a:
find / -name "ppp*" -depth -print
or a
find / -name "PPP*" -depth -print
as root from the shell prompt and look for a reference to PPP and HOWTO
in the file name.

As far as DHCP if you do need it - you should first look for the
documentation on DHCP in a HOWTO file:

make sure your CDROM is mounted and do a:
find / -name "dhcp*" -depth -print
or a
find / -name "DHCP*" -depth -print
as root from the shell prompt and look for a reference to DHCP and HOWTO
in the file name.  If you look at this document it will give you the
exact steps to follow and the URL address for where you can download the
latest dhcp client daemon (dhcpcd), but I believe you can get it at
sunsite.unc.edu but I am not sure.

Once you have the client installed then you simply add the configuration
files.  I am using a Laptop for mine which also means I needed the
updated PCMCIA modules, which are really nice and allow the use of
schemes so I can have one for home (fixed IP) and one for work which uses
DHCP and the only thing I have to have in my network.opts file is a line
which say DHCP="yes" for the scheme for work.  The DHCP client is
relatively easy to setup just following the HOWTO.

Brian

 
 
 

1. Howto configure AIX DHCP Client ?

I use DHCP on my AIX box at home . I want to connect to my Cable ISP as a
DHCP Client . only thing I did was this :
smit
Communications Applications and Services
TCP/IP
Use DHCP for TCPIP Configuration and Startup
"Select the interface you want to use"
en0
"Enter a hostname"
OK

after that I edit /etc/resolv.conf  it look like this

domain    hispeed.ch
nameserver :  IP nameserver 1
nameserver :  IP nameserver 2

The DHCP Server serve me with a IP adress and I can connect via ftp, telnet
ect.
BUT : If I start the CDE and login, the following message appear :
Could not start DT Message System .......
....and have a look at your /etc/hosts for proper Hostname bla bla bla.
After pushing the ok Button the system goes back to de CDE login.

What did I wrong or forget ? Is there any guru outside who can give a
beginner a little finger :)

Thx
zumbi

2. TEKRAM DC-680 Cacheing IDE Controller

3. Configuring DHCP client for Solaris 7

4. Lexmark 1000

5. Configuring BSD for DHCP Client baised on Windows computer names

6. Question on set up a Gateway 486DX2-50V

7. Configuring DHCP Client

8. Help : Redhat4.0 + I128 series 2

9. Configure smb w/dhcp client

10. Configuring Solaris 7 Dhcp Client

11. how configure client DHCP

12. Configuring dhcp client support

13. configuring as DHCP client