swap size

Post by Shi-Ying Li » Fri, 17 May 2002 04:24:25

Hi,
How much size for swap space is appropritate
for Pentium-4 1.7G, 256 MB memory ?
thanks

swap size

Post by Stephan Korshol » Fri, 17 May 2002 07:15:05

Quote:>Hi,
>How much size for swap space is appropritate
>for Pentium-4 1.7G, 256 MB memory ?
>thanks

That's too little. Chose 1 GB instead.

- Stephan

swap size

Post by Keith Gamar » Fri, 17 May 2002 07:16:40

I use 1.5 times physical RAM, but others will tell you 2 times.  Your
choice.

--
Keith Gamard

Quote:> Hi,
> How much size for swap space is appropritate
> for Pentium-4 1.7G, 256 MB memory ?
> thanks

swap size

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 17 May 2002 07:39:15

>>How much size for swap space is appropritate
>>for Pentium-4 1.7G, 256 MB memory ?
>>thanks
> That's too little. Chose 1 GB instead.

If he goes 1GB into swap, something is deeply wrong. That said, only he
knows what his needs are! I'd leave it at zero swap for a while, turn
on memory overcommit, and see how it goes. 256MB is also waaay too much
to want to have swapped out, but I'd be happy with it. It adds up to a
round number!

Peter

swap size

Post by Dave Bro » Fri, 17 May 2002 09:07:35

> I use 1.5 times physical RAM, but others will tell you 2 times.  Your
> choice.

A rule of thumb will probably come off if you suck your thumb long enough.
But some people like to waste disk space, and it is pretty cheap now.
The 2x rule was probably appropriate back when people had 16MB or 32MB
machines.  I used to stick with 128 MB, but since the 2.4 kernel had
paging problems, I upped it to 256MB.  Since I don't try to run dozens of
memory-hogging applications at once, I almost never invade paging space.

You can monitor paging space usage, and add more if you need it.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

swap size

Post by Yan Seine » Fri, 17 May 2002 19:20:37

>> I use 1.5 times physical RAM, but others will tell you 2 times.  Your
>> choice.

> A rule of thumb will probably come off if you suck your thumb long
> enough. But some people like to waste disk space, and it is pretty cheap
> now. The 2x rule was probably appropriate back when people had 16MB or
> 32MB machines

It really is a matter of opinion and usage.  Disk space is cheap, and I
use software RAID, so my swap = /boot.  Linux will only do raid-1 for the
boot partition, and since I typically use 3 drives for raid-5, and can
only use 2 drives for raid-1 for the boot partition, I take what is left
over and use it for swap.

As good a rule as any, I guess.

Anyway, once you start using swap, you're pretty well hosed performance
wise, so you need enough to run the system while you shut down the
ofending app.

256MB works for me, and it happens to equal /boot.  (yes I like a big
boot partition.)  :-)

--Yan

swap size

Post by S » Sat, 18 May 2002 15:17:17

> > A rule of thumb will probably come off if you suck your thumb long
> > enough. But some people like to waste disk space, and it is pretty cheap
> > now. The 2x rule was probably appropriate back when people had 16MB or
> > 32MB machines

> Anyway, once you start using swap, you're pretty well hosed performance
> wise, so you need enough to run the system while you shut down the
> ofending app.

> 256MB works for me, and it happens to equal /boot.  (yes I like a big
> boot partition.)  :-)

could you please post the results of df -h and ls -al /boot?
I do want to laugh once again when i see the contents of /boot.

rgds
-z

swap size

Post by S » Sat, 18 May 2002 15:27:03

> > I use 1.5 times physical RAM, but others will tell you 2 times.  Your
> > choice.

> A rule of thumb will probably come off if you suck your thumb long enough.
> But some people like to waste disk space, and it is pretty cheap now.
> The 2x rule was probably appropriate back when people had 16MB or 32MB
> machines.  I used to stick with 128 MB, but since the 2.4 kernel had
> paging problems, I upped it to 256MB.  Since I don't try to run dozens of
> memory-hogging applications at once, I almost never invade paging space.

Exactly. The circumstances for choosing huge amount of swap space are
actually dependednt where the machines are being used. Probably if it
is on a sevrer where the user is running a database, and runs a dedupe
at night, a lot of swap might be necessary for such a system. If you
are running a graphics workstation, you might need a lot of swap, but
then in both the above cases, you would'nt want to run a system with
256M ram anyway.

The best way for a home user is to prolly have something like
64-128Megs of swap on a fast disk, and then monitor how much swap is
being used when you do something very intensive on a machine, like
running kernel compile+something pretty intensive at the same time. I
have 200 megs of swap because i compile a lot of stuff, and don't have
enough RAM :?

rgds
-z

swap size

Post by Luminar » Sun, 19 May 2002 00:12:13

> I use 1.5 times physical RAM, but others will tell you 2 times.  Your
> choice.

> --
> Keith Gamard

>> Hi,
>> How much size for swap space is appropritate for Pentium-4 1.7G, 256 MB
>> memory ?
>> thanks

The old x-times-RAM formula has lost its usefulness for machines with
greater than 64MB of RAM. One thing that may improve performance is to use
the rule of "the most used partition on the least used disk". I run a
source-based distribution, and need a LARGE amount of swap space to
compile things like KDE, so I have 1GB allocated in a file (but I haven't
bothered about which disk/partition). If you don't do huge compile,
database or desktop publishing jobs, you don't need so much.

Cheers,
Luminary.

swap size

Post by Luminar » Sun, 19 May 2002 00:13:55

>>Hi,
>>How much size for swap space is appropritate for Pentium-4 1.7G, 256 MB
>>memory ?
>>thanks

> That's too little. Chose 1 GB instead.

> - Stephan

Given that he didn't say how much swap he has, I'm wondering how you came
to such an enlightened conclusion. Tarot cards?

Luminary.

swap size

Post by Michael Kell » Sun, 19 May 2002 05:39:05

> Hi,
> How much size for swap space is appropritate
> for Pentium-4 1.7G, 256 MB memory ?
> thanks

It depends on the load.  If you run a big database you might
need a lot of swap.  If you run a few apps and surf the net
you might not need any swap at all.  You can make a swap file
and track the usage.  Then when you have an idea what you need
you can slice off a partition with a non-destructive resizer
and make a swap partition if you like.

--

"Only choice is an oxymoron."

1. What if swap size < RAM size on 5.0.4

Hi,

I've to add 32 Mb RAM to my 5.0.4 server to upgrade it to 64 Mb. Am I
forced to reinstall all the system in order to increase the swap space
(because there's no room left on the hard disk) ?
Or can I leave the swap space as it is ?
Can anybody explain in detail how SCO OpenServer virtual memory works with
the swap area, or give me the name of a book that explain it ?

Thanks.
--
Richard Bneyt

2. TIOCPKT not working on AIX 4.2?

3. how to increase the swap size

4. Samba share behaving differently in Win2000 and Win98

5. Correct way to find swap size/usage

6. wierd error in 2.0.28 w/ sound config

7. Swap Size?

8. Copy from Windos to Linux > 1.4M files

9. swap size

10. Swap size !

11. default swap size for diskless client

12. Increase swap size

13. Solaris: change swap size