IBM Aptiva: Mwave modem/soundcard using with Linux.

IBM Aptiva: Mwave modem/soundcard using with Linux.

Post by Brian Kelle » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone got the Aptiva MWave card working with linux?
We has tried initializing the card from dos, and then using Loadlin
to boot linux but the modem could not be detected.  Is this a
plug-and-play issue?

Currently we are using linux 1.2.1, do newer kernels support
the mwave?

Thanks
--
Brian Kelley         : 357 Rhodes Hall

(607) 255-0963       : Ithaca, N.Y. 14850

Post by Keith T. Garne » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone got the Aptiva MWave card working with linux?
>We has tried initializing the card from dos, and then using Loadlin
>to boot linux but the modem could not be detected.  Is this a
>plug-and-play issue?

No, it's an Mwave issue.  The drivers for DOS/Win95 load stuff onto and
off the card as needed.  Linux currently doesn't have any drivers and
probably won't in the near future, due to IBM's not releasing any
documentation and IBM themselves not having the time/budget/experiance
to write and release them themselves.

The most you can hope to do at the present time is use the Mwave as a
sound blaster.  The way to do this is compile sound blaster support into
the kernel and boot into dos like you did before and use the "*"
settings of the Mwave then starting Linux.  I have heard you get pretty
good sound blaster support this way, but I have never tried it myself.

--Keith

"One does not have to be a sysadmin to point out you're a bonehead" - Joe Gross
   CS - University of Illinois - ACM LUG Chair - Illigal & Art&Design BOFH

IBM Aptiva: Mwave modem/soundcard using with Linux.

Post by Stuart Charlt » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Has anyone got the Aptiva MWave card working with linux?
>We has tried initializing the card from dos, and then using Loadlin
>to boot linux but the modem could not be detected.  Is this a
>plug-and-play issue?

Supposedly there is an MWAVE developer's kit, which theoretically allow someone with experience to write drivers for Mwave in Linux.

I was going to, but the DDK kit costs around $295.. That's a little prohibitive for me.

I'm going to try the "boot dos and load drivers" idea.  it may work..

1. How to Dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card ?

Can someone tell me how to dialup using IBM Aptiva MWAVE card?
Looks like Linux has difficult to use the modem in it.  It just
keep dialing and has no error message.  I am using

        seyon -modem /dev/modem &

I also tried minicom and got same result.  It works fine with Win95.

Wen Hu

2. Netscape -- user database format

3. Mwave modem and IBM Aptiva

4. alternative free web browsers, small & stable?

5. IBM Aptiva Mwave Modem

6. Help- Strange error message...

7. IBM Aptiva MWAVE modem

8. Question about Korn Shell (ksh)

9. Linix on IBM Aptiva with MWave sound card/modem

10. Anyone install Linux on IBM Aptiva Pentium 100 with Mwave chip?

11. HOW? - Aptiva MWave (modem - sound) card on linux.

12. IBM Aptiva with MWAVE ans Suse

13. IBM Aptiva M71, Mwave card, recognition problems