Cannot use xconfig or menuconfig

Post by P. U. Psilanimou » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have installed RedHat 6.2 as a KDE workstation and now want to
configure ide-scsi emulation in the kernel.  When I cd to /usr/src/linux
and type "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" I get  "No rule to make
xconfig (or menuconfig)".

I have installed Tcl and Tk but still get the same result.  I am, of
course, new at this so I am at a loss.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Cannot use xconfig or menuconfig

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I have installed RedHat 6.2 as a KDE workstation and now want to
>configure ide-scsi emulation in the kernel.  When I cd to /usr/src/linux
>and type "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" I get  "No rule to make
>xconfig (or menuconfig)".

>I have installed Tcl and Tk but still get the same result.  I am, of
>course, new at this so I am at a loss.

It is pretty hard to to compile the kernel if you
have not installed the source.

BOFH excuse #29:

It works the way the Wang did, what's the problem
  3:26pm  up 28 days, 18:31,  9 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00

Post by mst » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have installed RedHat 6.2 as a KDE workstation and now want to
> configure ide-scsi emulation in the kernel.  When I cd to /usr/src/linux
> and type "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" I get  "No rule to make
> xconfig (or menuconfig)".

> I have installed Tcl and Tk but still get the same result.  I am, of
> course, new at this so I am at a loss.

> Can anyone help?

> Thanks

You don't have the kernel sources installed. I'd suggest you go to a
mirror of ftp.kernel.org (for instance ftp.us.kernel.org, if you're in
the US), download a stock kernel, and put the source in /usr/src/linux,
instead of using the RH-modified source.

MST

Cannot use xconfig or menuconfig

Post by Chris Baron » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have same problem, and my 'make' commands, also give me errors. I'm
using kernel 2.2.16-3. I had no problems before changeing kernels. I
have the source kernels loaded, but they are the RH ones. Does this
matter? If so, can you explain how to load the correct ones? Thanks in
advance- Chris

1. xconfig and menuconfig don't work

Whenever I try to do 'make xconfig' or 'make menuconfig' for my kernel,  I
get about ten line of errors,  and nothing happens.  Does anyone have any
idea what's wrong?  I am trying to build kernel 2.0.32 on a Slackware 3.2
system.

David Lee Lambert   MHm 16x20   Hack Programmer and Student
Admin of lmert.dyn.ml.org           http://lmert.dyn.ml.org
My web pages are at http://web.egr.msu.edu/~lamber45

2. How do I modify groups for menus in AnotherLevel(fvwm95)?

3. make xconfig and make menuconfig fail for 2.2.0.pre1

4. Epson Stylus 500 (printing on...)

5. Make Config, make xconfig and make menuconfig.

6. iANS

7. Less Sig11's with menuconfig vs xconfig?

8. Apache problem...

9. xconfig and menuconfig no longer work -SOLVED

10. Installing latest ossfree ruined make xconfig and make menuconfig!!!???

11. xconfig and menuconfig no longer work

12. cant run make menuconfig or make xconfig, and cant compile from make config:(

13. menuconfig|xconfig question