LILO not reading LILO.CONF

Post by ScottGat » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 08:24:51

OK, I'm a NEWBIE. And YES I'm on AOL, But only until cable modems come to town.

Installed Redhat 7.1.
Have a boot partion, /root, swap and a /win partition.  Have edited
/etc/lilo.conf to make dos boot default, but linux remains default.  I've done
several other experiments including changing the delay from 50 deciseconds to
500 deciseconds and I get NO changes.
It appears that lilo is not reading the /etc/lilo.conf file.
I'm very new to linux and would appreciate any input you could give.

Thanx a bunch
sg

LILO not reading LILO.CONF

Post by <k.. » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 07:37:08

Quote:> OK, I'm a NEWBIE. And YES I'm on AOL, But only until cable modems come to town.

> Installed Redhat 7.1.
> Have a boot partion, /root, swap and a /win partition.  Have edited
> /etc/lilo.conf to make dos boot default, but linux remains default.  I've done
> several other experiments including changing the delay from 50 deciseconds to
> 500 deciseconds and I get NO changes.
> It appears that lilo is not reading the /etc/lilo.conf file.
> I'm very new to linux and would appreciate any input you could give.

It sounds like you're not running lilo after you make the change.
After editing, type:

Quote:> /sbin/lilo

You'll get something like:
Added linux
Added failsafe
Added floppy
Added linux-2.4.7 *
Added linux-2.4.7nofb

The * denotes the default boot image.

LILO not reading LILO.CONF

Post by spi.. » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 21:30:49

> OK, I'm a NEWBIE. And YES I'm on AOL, But only until cable modems come to town.
> Installed Redhat 7.1.
> Have a boot partion, /root, swap and a /win partition.  Have edited
> /etc/lilo.conf to make dos boot default, but linux remains default.  I've done
> several other experiments including changing the delay from 50 deciseconds to
> 500 deciseconds and I get NO changes.
> It appears that lilo is not reading the /etc/lilo.conf file.
> I'm very new to linux and would appreciate any input you could give.

Everytime you change lilo.conf, you MUST rerun lilo.
The only time lilo reads its conf file is when it is installed onto the MBR.

LILO not reading LILO.CONF

Post by Rex Diete » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:20:21

> Everytime you change lilo.conf, you MUST rerun lilo.

Sage advice, yes.

Quote:> The only time lilo reads its conf file is when it is installed onto the
> MBR.

In my experience, the only time lilo reads it's conf file is run it is
executed.

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics

LILO not reading LILO.CONF

Post by spi.. » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 02:51:38

>> Everytime you change lilo.conf, you MUST rerun lilo.
> Sage advice, yes.
>> The only time lilo reads its conf file is when it is installed onto the
>> MBR.
> In my experience, the only time lilo reads it's conf file is run it is
> executed.

What do you think it does when it IS executed?
It installs itself onto the MBR (or other partition header)
:)

LILO not reading LILO.CONF

Post by Villy Kru » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 21:56:16

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:51:38 +0100,

>>> Everytime you change lilo.conf, you MUST rerun lilo.

>> Sage advice, yes.

>>> The only time lilo reads its conf file is when it is installed onto the
>>> MBR.

>> In my experience, the only time lilo reads it's conf file is run it is
>> executed.

>What do you think it does when it IS executed?
>It installs itself onto the MBR (or other partition header)
>:)

Depend what It is.  It (the lilo program) reads the lilo.conf when it
install It (the lilo loader) into the boot sector.  Wheen booting It
(the lilo loader) doesn't read the lilo.conf.  It (the lilo program)
is also called the map installer and one of its tasks is to write
the /boot/map file which among other things contains the configuration
information from the lilo.conf file.

Villy

1. lilo.conf and lilo.conf~

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows what's going on.  I've upgraded my kernel to a
newer one, and I went to change my /etc/lilo.conf file to get it to boot
into it correctly.  So far so good, the online documentation was fine.

So now I had Windows, the older kernel and the newer kernel as options.  So
far so good.

Then I decided to delete the older kernel.  I deleted any of the files that
had anything related to the older kernel from /boot.  I then changed
lilo.conf to remove the entry for the older kernel aswell.

I restart my computer and I get the exact same boot options - Windows,
Older kernel and new kernel.

After a bit of digging, I found there was a different file called
/etc/lilo.conf~ which had my old settings to boot.  So this file was
probably the one it was using to choose my boot options.  Why is that?

Also, it's weird because this old lilo.conf~ file which has the old kernel
still as an option runs fine.

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

When I select "linux" from Lilo, it boots into Linux fine, even there is no
"/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-1", (not even a hidden file of that name).

Here's a copy of linux.conf~ file in all its entirity:

boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout="50"
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-12"
        label="LinuxNew"
        root="/dev/hda4"
        read-only

(the linux.conf file is the same, just without the /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
image).

Any help appreciated,

Michael

2. Caldera Open Linux V2.0

3. lilo.conf not being read on boot!?!?

4. Save money on purchase of SCO 5.05 or Unixware

5. Where can I buy bridgeboards?

6. lilo.conf not read on RedHat 6.2?

7. Need 2nd HDD on my SPARC20

8. lilo can't find /etc/lilo.conf, even though it's there

9. lilo.conf ignored by lilo at boot time

10. Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

11. LILO/lilo.conf question?

12. LILO - Can I add a command line argument to /etc/lilo.conf?