How to configure Sounds on Linux (newbie question)

How to configure Sounds on Linux (newbie question)

Post by Karl-Heinz Schul » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Actually with RH it is very easy.
You can use the sndconfig utility.

Post by Adam J. tricke » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've just installed RedHat Linux 5.1, normal default installation. I did the
sound config for a PnP SB-AWE32 sound card, and all is well. I can play audio
CDs through the sound card, and control the volume, and all is well. Card
passed the sndconfig test, and works fine under DOS/NT.

How do I play midi and wav files?

The KDE midi player claims to be playing fine, but I here no sound. Using the
splaymidi too gives a 'device not configured error'.

Hope this isn't too stupid a question? the how-2s I looked at talked about
building a custom kernel, is this required if you have used the sndconfig?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

trickett at ucrac1 dot ucr dot edu

Anti-Spam | Unsolicited e-mail will be charged a $10 proof-reading
          | fee - by replying to this posting you are agreeing to
Measure ! | these terms and conditions.

In line with UCR guidelines: Any opinions expressed in this mailing
are personal and do not represent the official view(s) of UCR.

How to configure Sounds on Linux (newbie question)

Post by David McCurl » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Be forewarned, I am a newbie to, but I have the wave stuff playing. I
don't know about midi.

First off, there is a nice Tcl/Tk sound recorder program that is called
Sound Studio that you can try to find if you want to record sound.

Second, to play with your sound card mix settings, make sure you are in X
Windows, open a terminal window, and type xmixer.

Also, there is a program called sox that is included with RH that lets
you  convert between different sound formats. Try man sox or info sox for
more help on that.

That's my .2 cents :)

David

Quote:> Hi,