8139too module

Post by RaMatka » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:50:24

I'm having a few problems installing the 8139too module.

Can someone please explain how to install this or any module. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

8139too module

Post by Greg » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:00:01

> I'm having a few problems installing the 8139too module.

> Can someone please explain how to install this or any module. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

A simple "modprobe 8139too" usually does it.

Is an error being reported?
Does anything appear in /var/log/messages?

Greg

8139too module

Post by Lee J. Moor » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:01:05

8139too module

Post by RaMatka » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:40:37

> > I'm having a few problems installing the 8139too module.

> > Can someone please explain how to install this or any module. Any help
would
> > be greatly appreciated.

> A simple "modprobe 8139too" usually does it.

> Is an error being reported?
> Does anything appear in /var/log/messages?

> Greg

I can't find the 8139too module......I tried downloading one from the net
and then 'make'ing it but there were hundreds of compiler errors.....

8139too module

Post by RaMatka » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:51:52

When i tried the dmesg | grep 8139too it wasn't there....modprobe tells me
that it can't find the module....

I tried downloading 8139too from somewhere off the net...sourceforge I think
but i couldn't 'make' it becuase there were too many compiler errors...

I don't have any experience recompiling the kernel but I tried following a
tutorial and after issueing the  'make menuconfig' comand I couldn't find
anything on cardbus support or the 8139too module...

I'm using Red Hat v7.0 by the way...

The kernel is already compiled with modules though because when i type lsmod
it gives me a list of modules that are already running....

If I need to recompile kernel, what exactly should i be looking to add in
that would give me the 8139too as a module?

Thanks, much appreciated...

8139too module

Post by Greg » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:02:57

> When i tried the dmesg | grep 8139too it wasn't there....modprobe tells me
> that it can't find the module....

> I tried downloading 8139too from somewhere off the net...sourceforge I think
> but i couldn't 'make' it becuase there were too many compiler errors...

> I don't have any experience recompiling the kernel but I tried following a
> tutorial and after issueing the  'make menuconfig' comand I couldn't find
> anything on cardbus support or the 8139too module...

> I'm using Red Hat v7.0 by the way...

> The kernel is already compiled with modules though because when i type lsmod
> it gives me a list of modules that are already running....

> If I need to recompile kernel, what exactly should i be looking to add in
> that would give me the 8139too as a module?

> Thanks, much appreciated...

Red Hat 7.0?  I've used RTL8139-based cards on this system before.
I don't think I needed to compiile anything.

What happens if you issue a "locate 8139"?

Greg

8139too module

Post by RaMatka » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:12:33

Quote:> Red Hat 7.0?  I've used RTL8139-based cards on this system before.
> I don't think I needed to compiile anything.

> What happens if you issue a "locate 8139"?

> Greg

interesting...just did locate 8139 and it found
rtl8139.c in /usr/src/...../drivers/net/
and
rtl8139.o in /lib/modules/../net/

when I type lsmod it does not show rtl8039 in the listing though.....

I'm not sure if that is the right module?....(I thought I remember seeing
that trl8039 got updated to 8139too in the 2.4 kernel is that right? maybe
it was the other way around?)

I am trying to install a pcmcia network card and in the instructions for
linux it says I might need to recompile the kernel to allow for cardbus
support and then compile the 8139too as a module then reboot and issue
'insmod 8139too.c'
It says I can then check the adaptor status by typing 'ifconfig -a'

just going to do a bit of research between 8139too and rtl8139 and see what
the differences are....

Should I try and 'insmod rtl8139.o' instead of the 8139too?

Thanks

8139too module

Post by RaMatka » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:22:39

Quote:> interesting...just did locate 8139 and it found
> rtl8139.c in /usr/src/...../drivers/net/
> and
> rtl8139.o in /lib/modules/../net/

> when I type lsmod it does not show rtl8039 in the listing though.....

> I'm not sure if that is the right module?....(I thought I remember seeing
> that trl8039 got updated to 8139too in the 2.4 kernel is that right? maybe
> it was the other way around?)

> I am trying to install a pcmcia network card and in the instructions for
> linux it says I might need to recompile the kernel to allow for cardbus
> support and then compile the 8139too as a module then reboot and issue
> 'insmod 8139too.c'
> It says I can then check the adaptor status by typing 'ifconfig -a'

> just going to do a bit of research between 8139too and rtl8139 and see
what
> the differences are....

> Should I try and 'insmod rtl8139.o' instead of the 8139too?

> Thanks

Checked out a couple of sites and some say 8139too is better and others say
rtl8139 is better so i though i'd give it a go and and try 'insmod
rtl8139.o' only it says something like:

"init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters including
IO or IRQ parameters"

any ideas would be much appreciated...
Thanks

8139too module

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:18:25

> interesting...just did locate 8139 and it found
> rtl8139.c in /usr/src/...../drivers/net/
> and
> rtl8139.o in /lib/modules/../net/

Good, so you both compiled and installed the rtl8139 driver. Now go for
the 8139too as well!

Quote:> when I type lsmod it does not show rtl8039 in the listing though.....

Why should it?

Quote:> I am trying to install a pcmcia network card and in the instructions for

Oh! No, you don't want the 8139 stuff from the kernel.

Quote:> linux it says I might need to recompile the kernel to allow for cardbus

What "instructions for linux"? If you are reading anything that a
manufacturer says, throw it away! A pcmcia card needs the pcmcia
utilities and pcmcia support.y

Quote:> support and then compile the 8139too as a module then reboot and issue
> 'insmod 8139too.c'
> It says I can then check the adaptor status by typing 'ifconfig -a'

These are NOt instructions for a pcmcia card!

Quote:> just going to do a bit of research between 8139too and rtl8139 and see what
> the differences are....
> Should I try and 'insmod rtl8139.o' instead of the 8139too?

No.  Well, really ..  you should start behaving in a vaguely sensical
fashion:  read the modules howto, stop using insmod, stop
misunderstanding instructions, load pcmcia support, and stick the card
in the slot.

Peter

8139too module

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:28:23

>> interesting...just did locate 8139 and it found
>> rtl8139.c in /usr/src/...../drivers/net/
>> and
>> rtl8139.o in /lib/modules/../net/
> Good, so you both compiled and installed the rtl8139 driver. Now go for
> the 8139too as well!

BTW, if 8139too did not show up in your search, you have the wrong
kernel source. It0s been in every kernel since 2.2.18 at least, and
is in the 2.4 kernels also.

Rerun updatedb!

Peter

8139too module

Post by Lee J. Moor » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:53:47

8139too module

Post by Matt Gree » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:19:37

> Checked out a couple of sites and some say 8139too is better and others
> say rtl8139 is better so i though i'd give it a go and and try 'insmod
> rtl8139.o' only it says something like:

Both modules are for the same ethernet cards. 8139too is the successor of
rtl8139. Some people have found that rtl8139 works better for them than
8139too. When I was running slackware for a while,  for whatever reason, I
could not configure my nic via dhcp with the 813too module, but I could
with rtl8139. But I haven't had that problem in a long time (likely the
8139too module got some improvements since then).

Quote:> "init_module: Device or resource busy
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters including
> IO or IRQ parameters"

In another post you were talking about pcmcia. Are you trying to configure a
network card that plugs into a pci slot of a desktop or a network pcmcia
card that plugs into a laptop? If this is for a laptop you don't want 8139
anything. If this is for a desktop, find out what kind of network card you
have and look it up in the ethernet howto (at linuxdoc.org) and confirm it
needs the 8139too module.

If you do need an 8139 module, you may need to find out what the IRQ and
base address of the card is, and pass those values in as parameters to the
rtl8139 module.

bash$] modprobe rtl8139 irq=7 io=0x300

And /always/ use modprobe, never insmod. modprobe is essentially a frontend
to insmod that does some checking and makes sure any modules that your
module may need are loaded in before loading the one you requested.

Matt