Install aborts (signal 8) when partitioning a large drive

Install aborts (signal 8) when partitioning a large drive

Post by Gary Helbi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to install a large (20G) drive (IBM DJNA-352030).

RedHat 5.2, booting from CD-ROM.

When I go to partition, it asks if I want to use FDISK or Disk Druid.

Whichever I choose, I get a "install exited abnormally -- received
signal 8", and install terminates.

How can I get past this problem?

I don't think it's a bios problem; the messages that zoom by during the
boot-up report it as a 19470 meg drive.

TIA,
Gary.

1. signal 7 aborts Linux install

I tried installing Linux ( tried all of these: RH6.1, Suse 6.3 and
Mandrake 6.1) on an AMD K6 200MHZ system that was already running
Linux. The clean install failed with a signal 7 late in the package
install phase in all cases.

I used the existing two IDE hard drives, floppy, Matrox Mystique PCI
video card, Adaptec 1510 SCSI card, keyboard, mouse and monitor from the
above system that failed and built a new system around a new
motherboard, new RAM memory, and new Celeron CPU.

Installing still fails late in the package install phase when it gets a
signal 7 (BUS ERROR).

I've got to think that the only thing left is to blame a hard drive, but
could that cause a signal 7?

If anyone has an idea on this one, please let me know.

Regards,

Peter Koren

2. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

3. Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

4. spamd

5. RH 5.0 install freaks out drive partition table...now can't fdisk the drive!

6. installing via Xircom CE3-100 PCMCIA NIC?

7. Large (>8.4GB) hard drive partition

8. How to setup modem speed using setserial

9. Partitioning Large Drives == Panic

10. Large Hard Drive Partitioning

11. Making Linux Partitions: what combo for large drives?

12. "unable to read partition table" -- WinNT/Linux2033 on AHA2940 SCSI large (8GB/1109cyl) drive

13. Partitioning on Large Hard Drives