Is there a SuSe linux news group?

Post by Peter Szatmar » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:12:12

I noticed that there are several SuSe 7.0 -related inquieries here. I cannot
find any SuSe users group anywhere. But that's hard to believe, SuSe being
the RedHat of Germany. I'd love to see what SuSe users are complaining about
before I purchase that distro. I really got burned with RedHat and Mandrake
and they're supposed to be so wonderful.

Peter

Post by Gregory Davi » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:54:10

> I noticed that there are several SuSe 7.0 -related inquieries here. I cannot
> find any SuSe users group anywhere. But that's hard to believe, SuSe being
> the RedHat of Germany. I'd love to see what SuSe users are complaining about
> before I purchase that distro. I really got burned with RedHat and Mandrake
> and they're supposed to be so wonderful.

> Peter

Sure there is, but most of the stuff is in German!

alt.os.linux.suse

Greg

Post by Michael Perr » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:50:34

> I noticed that there are several SuSe 7.0 -related inquieries here. I
> cannot find any SuSe users group anywhere. But that's hard to believe,
> SuSe being the RedHat of Germany. I'd love to see what SuSe users are
> complaining about before I purchase that distro. I really got burned
> with RedHat and Mandrake and they're supposed to be so wonderful.

> Peter

There is also a good mailing list you can subscribe to.  This list has a
lot of posts to it everyday, and I always found it a great place to get
some help.  I tend to use debian primarily now but still have a system
here that boots SuSE 7.0.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. user and group management - how to emulate groups into groups in linux ?

Hi

What is the best practice in organizing users in the following case :

A linux system will be used for a school.
There are students in IT, Math and Physics sections.
For each section there are 4 years of studies  : 1st year, 2nd year,
3rd year, 4th year.
Some programs can be used only by students in 2nd year, or only by
students in physics, etc.

I want to assign permissions on groups to these programs.

I want to add users into the following groups :

it_year1, it_year2, it_year3, it_year4,
math_year1, math_year2, math_year3, math_year4,
phys_year1, phys_year2, phys_year3, phys_year4.

and then create groups for each section and each year :

it_students, physics_students, math_students,
year1, year2, year3, year4.

The problem is that in linux it is not possible to add a group in
another group :
it_year1 is part of year1 and it_students.

A possible solution would be to add users directly into each group but
that
will not make user administration easy. It is by far easier to add a
user in one group and make him inherit
automatically other group membership than by adding a user in several
groups, with the risk of forgetting one.

So what is the best solution to this user/group management problem in
linux ?

Thanks in advance

2. XFree86 4.0 And Compiling OpenGL Programs

3. LINUX news groups

4. IPX for newbie

5. how to host a (private) news group on Linux PC

6. SuSE 6.4 Rescue System CD

7. which is the coolest linux news group

8. Ext3 undelete

9. Linux news groups...

10. linux-java news group?

11. linux news groups

12. Netscape 2.0, Linux and News Groups

13. This news group should be changed to comp.os.linux.MSBashing...