Lazy

Post by Robert Voge » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:10:05

OK. I admit it. I do not want to spend a lot of time configuring Linux.

Tell me who, if anybody, sells Linux fully configured so that the OS is properly installed, there are a complete complement of devices (including SoundBlaster, CD, DVD, CD/RW). GCC, Xwindows, emacs, and applications are installed on a working machine.

Is that asking too much ?

Thanks for any information that you may have.

Lazy

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:05:08

> OK. I admit it. I do not want to spend a lot of time configuring
> Linux. Tell me who, if anybody, sells Linux fully configured so that
> the OS is properly installed, there are a complete complement of
> devices (including SoundBlaster, CD, DVD, CD/RW). GCC, Xwindows,
> emacs, and applications are installed on a working machine. Is that
> asking too much ? Thanks for any information that you may have.

And which OS does all those things without you lifting a
finger????????????
And what machine.?

Most of us went Linux to escape an OS which promissed but did not
deliver.
Rethink your attitude and welcome to Linux-land.

--
Stanislaw
Linux counter No.162760

Lazy

Post by Gary Sandin » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:53:17

> OK. I admit it. I do not want to spend a lot of time configuring Linux.
> Tell me who, if anybody, sells Linux fully configured so that the
> OS is properly installed, there are a complete complement of devices
> (including SoundBlaster, CD, DVD, CD/RW). GCC, Xwindows, emacs, and
> applications are installed on a working machine.
> Is that asking too much ?

I don't think so - we like helping users become familiar with Linux.
Many don't go back, and that's the point.

http://www.lanm-pc.com (Cheap Linux boxes)
                             ^
                             configured

Lazy

Post by Richard Stein » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:34:58

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>OK. I admit it. I do not want to spend a lot of time configuring Linux.

Some of the newer desktop distributions (like Mandrake) seem to include
a lot of stuff by default out of the box.

Quote:>Tell me who, if anybody, sells Linux fully configured so that the OS
>is properly installed, there are a complete complement of devices
>(including SoundBlaster, CD, DVD, CD/RW). GCC, Xwindows, emacs, and
>applications are installed on a working machine.

A lot depends on the specific makes and models of the hardware you're
talking about, as some manufacturers are much more third-party-friendly
with their information (and hence end up being better supported under
Linux and other non-mainstream OSes).

Quote:>Is that asking too much ?

Your question is far too general.  When using any operating system
(including those produced by Microsoft), you need to look at things
like hardware support and configuration on a case-by-case basis (or
you're likely to get burned somewhere).

--

      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS
      + PC/GEOS + Fusion + vMac + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! :-)

Lazy

Post by Cliff Sarginso » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 06:37:38

Stanislaw Flatto posited:

> > OK. I admit it. I do not want to spend a lot of time configuring
> > Linux. Tell me who, if anybody, sells Linux fully configured so that
> > the OS is properly installed, there are a complete complement of
> > devices (including SoundBlaster, CD, DVD, CD/RW). GCC, Xwindows,
> > emacs, and applications are installed on a working machine. Is that
> > asking too much ? Thanks for any information that you may have.

> And which OS does all those things without you lifting a
> finger????????????
> And what machine.?

> Most of us went Linux to escape an OS which promissed but did not
> deliver.
> Rethink your attitude and welcome to Linux-land.

Tell you what though, pay me enough and I will do it for you :)

Cliff

--
no *SPAM if you email me :)

1. Are Linux advocates stupid or lazy?

Lets see now. 99% of newbies get into vi and get stuck. Hopelessly stuck.

Could we fix this problem? Of course we could; here's how.

We've got the source code to elvis, vim etc... so why don't we modify it
to add a couple of things. First add a newbie mode and default it to on.
Power users can quickly add

set nonewbie

to their .exrc files. What does it do? Simple, it steals a line at the
bottom of the screen to display this message:

Save & Exit - Shift-ZZ   Exit without saving - :q!   Help - :help

And now we have to add the :help command too. All it does is display a
multiscreen command summary explaining all the vi commands starting with
the movement commands so we can tell them to use Ctrl-F to go forward to
the next page.

Doing this would make the first vi experience into a pleasant one and if
people decide the commands on the help screen are too cryptic, they can
bow out gracefully.

BTW, I don't think Linux advocates are either stupid or lazy. I just
think most people are stuck in a rut and don't know how to get out of it.

--
Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130

2. Console Disconnect / Suspend State

3. Lazy mmap()?

4. How to setup POP server???

5. Setting up a Firewall (I'm lazy)

6. Start Automatically ?

7. lazy le0

8. Linux on dual pentium 90?

9. Lazy Newbie Question

10. Lazy Question: PPP turning it on and off by CRON job.

11. lazy allocation of struct block_device

12. Which distro can a lazy guy build from source?

13. What is a lazy, yet secure partition strategy?