Password protected web page

Post by Claude Via » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to secure a web page using .htaccess and
 htpasswd.  Any specific permission must go on the /home/.. folders or on
the
 folder that is protected.  I always get the same error "Authorization
failed", as though it couldn't find the path AuthUserFile or something.

 I'm still VERY new at this.
Thanks for your help.

 Claude

Post by Eggert.Eh.. » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I've been trying to figure out how to secure a web page using .htaccess and
> htpasswd.  Any specific permission must go on the /home/.. folders or on
>the
> folder that is protected.  I always get the same error "Authorization
>failed", as though it couldn't find the path AuthUserFile or something.

In your httpd.conf file, change the <Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs> section
and set "AllowOverride All" or "AllowOverride AuthConfig".

Answers please in this newsgroup!

Post by Marti » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've been trying to figure out how to secure a web page using .htaccess and
>  htpasswd.  Any specific permission must go on the /home/.. folders or on
> the
>  folder that is protected.  I always get the same error "Authorization
> failed", as though it couldn't find the path AuthUserFile or something.

>  I'm still VERY new at this.
> Thanks for your help.

>  Claude

take a look in the documentation and faq of Apache.
you've to make a PassWd File of your own for Apache. And this you have to use.
It has nothing to do with the *ix /etc/passwd File.

You can define all or a specific folder [with it's subfolder's as protected].
If you're runing cgi's: Don't forget to protect them too [don't forget the same I did :-]

Have fun
    Martin

Post by Clif » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I've been trying to figure out how to secure a web page using .htaccess and
> >  htpasswd.  Any specific permission must go on the /home/.. folders or on
> > the
> >  folder that is protected.  I always get the same error "Authorization
> > failed", as though it couldn't find the path AuthUserFile or something.

> >  I'm still VERY new at this.
> > Thanks for your help.

> >  Claude

> take a look in the documentation and faq of Apache.
> you've to make a PassWd File of your own for Apache. And this you have to use.
> It has nothing to do with the *ix /etc/passwd File.

> You can define all or a specific folder [with it's subfolder's as protected].
> If you're runing cgi's: Don't forget to protect them too [don't forget the same I did :-]

Yes, only if the scripts are for your own use. Let say all your scripts reside in cgi-bin,
anyone without a username+password will not be able to run your script if they are
htpasswd-protected.
i.e. The number of count will not be incrementing for a page containing a counter.

Cliff

Quote:

Post by Marti » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > > Hi,

> > > I've been trying to figure out how to secure a web page using .htaccess and
> > >  htpasswd.  Any specific permission must go on the /home/.. folders or on
> > > the
> > >  folder that is protected.  I always get the same error "Authorization
> > > failed", as though it couldn't find the path AuthUserFile or something.

> > >  I'm still VERY new at this.
> > > Thanks for your help.

> > >  Claude

> > take a look in the documentation and faq of Apache.
> > you've to make a PassWd File of your own for Apache. And this you have to use.
> > It has nothing to do with the *ix /etc/passwd File.

> > You can define all or a specific folder [with it's subfolder's as protected].
> > If you're runing cgi's: Don't forget to protect them too [don't forget the same I did :-]

> Yes, only if the scripts are for your own use. Let say all your scripts reside in cgi-bin,
> anyone without a username+password will not be able to run your script if they are
> htpasswd-protected.
> i.e. The number of count will not be incrementing for a page containing a counter.

> Cliff

> > Have fun
> >     Martin

then just mak an unprotected Counter.
That's it.

1. how to password protect my web pages?

Hello,

I have an account on Mindspring which gives me web space (not web-hosting).
I would like to password-protect some of my html files if possible.  My account
allows me to change the file attributes on all my directories
(owner/group/public).

After searching the web quite a bit it seems that the answer is in the use of
the
.htaccess and .htpasswd files.  I tried following a tutorial on setting them up
(and correlated it with some other material) but it didn't work.  Either I got
through with my browser or else it returned a "401" (I think that's the term).

Yes I've checked with Mindspring tech support - surprisingly they seem to know
very little about this (and I thought AOL was bad).

Can anybody give me any insight as to what I'm doing wrong?  Does the sys admin
on the server have to set certain parameters/permissions in order for the
.htaccess and .htpasswd files to work?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any insight/comments you might have.

Mike

2. compile.el vs xlf

3. Password protect a web page

4. PAS+ and Sony CDU535 Problems

5. Password protect web folder

6. Ping and Router.

7. Possible to password protect JUST an image in a page?

8. file creation and system time !!! HELP MEE !!!!

9. Security of password protected pages?

10. Using htaccess to password protect a ~home page on apache

11. Password Protect individual pages

12. how to password-protect a single page/file

13. Password protect http pages with Apache