Slackware, 2nd IDE ctrlr, 2nd partition

Post by Brian Luth » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

I've been trying to find a way to get Slackware to see the second
partition on my second IDE drive which is on my second IDE controller. I
can see the disk (/dev/hd1a) and even use FDISK to create a 83-Linux
Native primary partition, but when I invode SETUP, it says I haven't
designated a partition as Linux Native to install to. What's up? I
haven't been able to get the UMSDOS version to see a DOS partition on the
drive either. Is Slackware unable to see the second controller/drive when
it's searching for somewhere to install?

thanks,
brian

stoney creek, ontario    http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ab644/Profile.html

Post by William B. Hau » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I've been trying to find a way to get Slackware to see the second
: partition on my second IDE drive which is on my second IDE controller. I
: can see the disk (/dev/hd1a) and even use FDISK to create a 83-Linux
: Native primary partition, but when I invode SETUP, it says I haven't
: designated a partition as Linux Native to install to. What's up? I
: haven't been able to get the UMSDOS version to see a DOS partition on the
: drive either. Is Slackware unable to see the second controller/drive when
: it's searching for somewhere to install?

: thanks,
: brian

well, first off... is it the second drive on the first controller, the
first drive on the second controller, or the second drive on the second
controller?

if it's the second drive on the first channel (controller) you should
have no problems... slackware reads all eight of my partitions on the
first two drives fine.

if it's the first drive on the second channel (controller) you will have
three drives and some problems.  i can't access my third ide hard drive
which is the first
on the second controller without booting to dos and loading the
controllers and then ctrl-alt-deleting it and then choosing linux.

if it's the second drive on the second controller it would be your fourth
hard drive. did you get the third hard drive to work?

please repost with more info...
bill

: --
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: stoney creek, ontario    http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ab644/Profile.html

--
        --    --      Bill Hauck: Computer Geek at Large

           \                  OS: Slackware 3.0, Linux 1.2.13
            \          Windowing: XFree86 1.3.2b
           _/
        \     /       Current Project: autonomous, mobile robot
         -----

Slackware, 2nd IDE ctrlr, 2nd partition

Post by Brian Luth » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I went out and bought the InfoMagic LINUX Developer's Resource which has
Slackware 3.0 (instead of the 2.0 I had) and I was able to install LINUX
on my second drive which is the first drive on the second controller. My
CDROM is second on the second controller and I was able to see it and
install from it. I had to kill my DOS extended partition first, leaving
only a DOS primary partition, before creating a Linux Native and Linux
Swap partitions using Linux's Fdisk. Once those were created and Linux
installed I went back and created an extended DOS partition which now
contains a Drivespace3 compressed drive.

So, it appears that time and a new version of Slackware has solved my
problem.

later,
brian

[...]

: : --
: : ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: : stoney creek, ontario    http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ab644/Profile.html

: --
:       --    --      Bill Hauck: Computer Geek at Large

:            \                OS: Slackware 3.0, Linux 1.2.13
:             \        Windowing: XFree86 1.3.2b
:          _/
:         \     /       Current Project: autonomous, mobile robot
:        -----

stoney creek, ontario    http://www.freenet.hamilton.on.ca/~ab644/Profile.html

1. Linux on 2nd IDE drive on 2nd IDE controller?

I am considering installing Linux on my PC.  All of my hard drive space
is spoken for, so I would need to add a third hard drive to my system.
But, before I go out and spend a few hundred dollars on a new
hard drive, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what sort of problems
I might have if I set my PC up this way:

System is a Gw2k P5-120, 32 meg 60ns EDO ram, ATI Mach 64 graphics, on board
EIDE controller, Ensoniq Soundscape sound card.

EIDE Controller 0:
     Drive 0:  OS/2 Boot Manager
               FAT partition for Window$ '95 (*mutter* *grumble*)

     Drive 1:  5 HPFS partitions (OS/2 Warp, programs, data, news spool, etc.)

EIDE Controller 1:
     Drive 0:  ATAPI-compliant 3-disk CD-ROM drive

     Drive 1:  new HD, where Linux partitions will go

In other words, will Linux squawk at being installed on or booting from the
secondary drive on the secondary controller?  Or, do I need to look into
getting a SCSI drive?  I haven't seen anything written in the files I've
looked at that suggest that there might be a problem, but....

Also, is there anything special I need to know in shopping for a
hard drive for Linux, or about hardware problems I am going to encounter
(aside from only being able to use tray 0 of the CD-ROM drive....)?

Thanks in advance.

--
Michael Adams
Triskele Consulting

--

2. Help on amd Please

3. Slackware 2 can't see 2nd IDE card

4. Ultra 10 and an additional hard drive

5. 2nd IDE Drive: bad partition table

6. Modem problem

7. setting up X with ATI display driver

8. Mounting/Partitioning of 2nd IDE-HD

9. Help starting 2nd xnews server (2nd openwin seat) on 1 machine

10. Q: Install LILO on 2nd HD, remove 1st hd, boot from 2nd?

11. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

12. Problems with 2nd HD on 2nd Adaptec 2940