problem in reading ReWritable CD

Post by Daniel N » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I back up some document at work on a Maxell rewritable CD.  I am able to
read there at work. But I cannot mount it on my linux box at home.    It
complains that
"no medium is found"
I have tried both Juliet and iso9660 filesystem.

Then I back up the document on a recordable CD (also Maxell), I have no
problem.

Does anyone know why I can mount a recordable CD but not a rewritable
CD?

problem in reading ReWritable CD

Post by brian moo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:38:20 -0700,

Quote:> I back up some document at work on a Maxell rewritable CD.  I am able to
> read there at work. But I cannot mount it on my linux box at home.    It
> complains that
> "no medium is found"
> I have tried both Juliet and iso9660 filesystem.

> Then I back up the document on a recordable CD (also Maxell), I have no
> problem.

> Does anyone know why I can mount a recordable CD but not a rewritable
> CD?

Because some CD drives don't like RW media?

From the CDR FAQ at http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/:

    These discs [CDRW] are not writable by standard CD-R drives, nor
    readable by most older CD readers (the reflectivity of CD-RW is
    far below CD and CD-R, so an Automatic Gain Control circuit is
    needed to compensate).  Most new CD-ROM drives do support CD-RW
    media, but not all them will read CD-RW discs at full speed.

In short, it's most likely the fault of the drive you're trying to read
on.  Replace it with a newer drive is probably your best bet.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

Post by Mark Bratche » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I back up some document at work on a Maxell rewritable CD.  I am able to
> read there at work. But I cannot mount it on my linux box at home.    It
> complains that
> "no medium is found"
> I have tried both Juliet and iso9660 filesystem.

> Then I back up the document on a recordable CD (also Maxell), I have no
> problem.

> Does anyone know why I can mount a recordable CD but not a rewritable
> CD?

CD-RW disks are very fussy about what drives they are read on. May can
only be read on CD-RW drives, not plain CD-ROM readers.

If you want a disk to be universally transportable, use CD-R media.

--
Mark Bratcher

Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles. Use Linux!

1. cd rewritable problem - scsi timeout

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the following configuration:

ibm pc i586
16 mb ram + 90k swap disk
adaptec scsi aha 2940 ultra rev. c
yamaha cd-r cdr400t rev 1.0i on scsi bus seagate st3255on (2gb) on scsi
bus
cdrecord-1.5
slackware 2.0.30

We want to use this pc as a cd-r unit, and we had some trouble setting
up the scsi card and the cdw; now, when I create a cdrom (mkisofs and
then cdrecord), it happens to write the data and then it 'hangs' for a
long time (no 'fixating' message); eventually, I see a 'scsi
timeout/reset' message on the screen and the cd-r unit releases the
disk; at this point, I can mount the disk (there's a toc on it) or I
have to fixate it; after that, it 'usually' is fine

Sometimes we need to power off/on the pc to have the cdr- unit working
again; we configured the host adapter to be #0 on the scsi bus, and it
is auto-terminated

At least one time it created a cdrom and after that it was unreadable
and unfixable

I don't see any error message in the system files

We also have a DEC Alpha Server 1000, running DEC Unix 4.0a but I can
see 'cdrecord' doesn't support it; do you know if a simple 'dd' would be
enough to copy an iso9660 image to cdrom ? I guess not, but I'm just
asking; we don't have any sparc/solaris box around, so either Linux or
DEC Unix are our way; otherwise, I have to resolve to commercial sw for
DEC

Does anybody suggest installing another kernel/distrib (e.g. suse ?)

Please reply by e-mail if possible

Thanks in advance for any help,

Andrea

2. How to tell if I *could* access a file that doesn't exist?

3. ReWritable Optical Disk written on PC, read on UNIX?

4. How can I have win95 and RH5.2 share swap partition

5. Won't read music CD, will read data cd?

6. PPP problem with Slackware 1.2

7. HELP:CD-rewritable drive & Linux

8. HELP!!! PS not work on my Solaris 2.3

9. What SCSI CD Rewritable to buy?

10. HP 7200e with CD-ReWritable as a backup system

11. Rewritable CD Drives

12. yv tuner in linux and cd rewritable

13. CD rewritable