MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)

Post by Jeffrey S. Dutk » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Linux on an old PS/2 model 57 486SLC and
the web-page listed in the HOWTOs is unresponsive and the email
of the maintainer no longer exists.

The web pages are
  <http://glycerine.itsmm.uni.edu/mca/>
and
  <http://glycerine.cetmm.uni.edu/mca/>

Does anyone know what happened to this web page? Has it moved
somewhere else? Is there a new maintainer?

Similarly, does anyone know if current versions of Slackware
have support for Microshannel hardware? I know that Debian is
supposed to have this support, but I'm used to Slackware.

TIA

- Jeff Dutky

MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)

Post by Mike Werne » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Take a look at
http://www.dgmicro.com/mca/
This appears to be what you are seeking.  And it looks like they are
using Slack to do their development, so the answer to that question is
also yes.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"

MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)

Post by sl » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Jeff-

    I just today sucessfully installed Debian Linux on an MCA machine.
I too am curious to know what happened to those sites as now I have a
new problem - trying to find a supported ethernet card.  The MCA 3com
Etherexpress I have in there now is not supported. :(.

Anyone know where I might find a list for Microchannel Supported
Hardware?

Sean Langford
University of Rhode Island
High Performance Computing Lab

> I'm trying to install Linux on an old PS/2 model 57 486SLC and
> the web-page listed in the HOWTOs is unresponsive and the email
> of the maintainer no longer exists.

> The web pages are
>   <http://glycerine.itsmm.uni.edu/mca/>
> and
>   <http://glycerine.cetmm.uni.edu/mca/>

> Does anyone know what happened to this web page? Has it moved
> somewhere else? Is there a new maintainer?

> Similarly, does anyone know if current versions of Slackware
> have support for Microshannel hardware? I know that Debian is
> supposed to have this support, but I'm used to Slackware.

> TIA

> - Jeff Dutky

MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)

Post by Michael Skole » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I don't have a complete thread, so if this is redundant please excuse.

The MCA stuff for Linux is at http://www.dgmicro.com/

There is Slackware boot and install disks supporting MCA. It won't support
mouse and parallel port (printer) so you would have to build a new kernel
after installation There is a patch which includes the MCA stuff into the
production 2.0.35 kernel.

RedHat: There is boot disks up to version 5.0. I've just uploaded for
version 5.1, but it might take a couple of days before it shows in the
RedHat directory. Version 5.2 is coming soon.

Chr. Hansen

1. MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)

If you look at the new kernel configs you will see a tree to add mca
support for hd, nics, etc, WWW.dgmicro.com/mca is a good source for info

Art I.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. RealTtek RTL8029 network adapter?

3. Can you install Linux on a Microchannel (MCA) machine?

4. Email

5. IRQ address of second modem

6. linux 2.0.29 on microchannel (MCA) ps2/77 makes great PC appliance

7. Proxim RangeLan2 Linux Support???

8. Linux for PS/2 Microchannel

9. Linux on PS/2 Microchannel...advice please!

10. Anyone ported Linux to PS/2 with MicroChannel Architecture?????

11. Linux on PS/2 Mod95 MicroChannel

12. Linux on Microchannel (PS/2) Machines