telnet & ftp access

Post by Bill Dun » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

        Hey!

        I am somewhat of an administrator of a basic linux network and we have two
or three machines running Red Hat 1.2.13 and 2.0. I need to know what I can
do to allow users ftp access but not shell access. I've changed the shell
settings in the passwd file to /bin/false but when I do that it kills the
users ftp access. I've looked in some of the ftp conf files but I haven't
been able to make a change that works. I figured the ftpaccess would do it
but it seems to operate in reverse logic, meaning if I put the user's name
in their then they can't ftp in.
        Any ideas? This seems pretty basic but I haven't found any documentation
to help me resolve the problem. Thanks for listening.
--

                                Bill W. Dunn

        Web Page Designer                       Owner/Operator
        Customer Support                        Johnson County Online

http://www.vci.net/~bildun                       http://www.jco.net
http://www.accessus.net/~bildun

telnet & ftp access

Post by Rene Peller » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>    Hey!
>    I am somewhat of an administrator of a basic linux network and we have two
>or three machines running Red Hat 1.2.13 and 2.0. I need to know what I can
>do to allow users ftp access but not shell access. I've changed the shell
>settings in the passwd file to /bin/false

Hi
just put a ! (exclamation point) in place of /bin/false.
That all  for linux Slackware and i suppose it will be the same on all
unix compatable system.

Rene

College Lafleche
Trois-Rivieres. Quebec. Canada

telnet & ftp access

Post by Kevin C. Weissm » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

:       Hey!

:       I am somewhat of an administrator of a basic linux network and we have two
: or three machines running Red Hat 1.2.13 and 2.0. I need to know what I can
: do to allow users ftp access but not shell access. I've changed the shell
: settings in the passwd file to /bin/false but when I do that it kills the
: users ftp access. I've looked in some of the ftp conf files but I haven't
: been able to make a change that works. I figured the ftpaccess would do it
: but it seems to operate in reverse logic, meaning if I put the user's name
: in their then they can't ftp in.

If a person has a shell that is not listed in /etc/shells, they cannot
ftp in. So, just add /bin/false to /etc/shells. Or you could fiddle
around with /etc/ftpaccess and make some ftponly users.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kevin C. Weissman (KW)               |ACORN "techie" / IRC admin / slipknot

Please try Dungeons of Avalon:

1. Telnet & FTP limited access

I have 2 problems that are related:

1) I am looking for a way to deny a user access to Linux using Telnet
but allow them access via FTP.  I want them to be able to
upload/delete/modifty/add, etc. files in their user directory but not
allow them to logon remotely.  I've tried to change their shell to both
/dev/null and /bin/false and this stops Telnet access but alse stops FTP
access.

2) I am also looking for a way to make the users home directory their
root directory so that they can not access the higher level directories
and files.  I think I can do it with chroot() but I am unsure how.

Does anyone know how I can resolve these problems?  Thanks ahead for
your help.

Leo A. Novelli

2. lan bridge and kernel config?

3. NameServer & Telnet & FTP

4. make all files written to a dir default to that dir's group???

5. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work

6. change color in OSF/Unix

7. ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup

8. How to add a / at user input

9. slow access to a linux machine with telnet ftp or httpd from another PC

10. limiting the ftp and telnet access.

11. Anonymous ftp/telnet access.

12. Restricted FTP/telnet access?